Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What got you into Metal/Rock?

Go down 
+8
RFFB
Mary1234
Chrissy
'Scope
Marty
Roger. H
Matty35
Pete
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelby

Shelby

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-01-16

What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Koke, I won't laugh at you.

I owned two pairs of parachute pants. Paired with the right concert tee and shoes, it didn't look that bad.
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Shelby wrote:
Koke, I won't laugh at you.

I owned two pairs of parachute pants. Paired with the right concert tee and shoes, it didn't look that bad.

Funny thing is Upscope owned a pair as well!!!!

happy boy

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:26 pm

O.K. i did too but we went to the extremes and wore them so tight that we could barely breathe. I can still remember haivng to lay on the bed and use a pair of pliers to get the zipper up. That with a jersey style concert t-shirt was a killer look. We used to tie the bandanas on our legs too.
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

Number of posts : 887

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Chrissy wrote:
O.K. i did too but we went to the extremes and wore them so tight that we could barely breathe. I can still remeber haivng to lay on the bed and use a pair of pliers to get the zipper up. That with my concert t-shirts was a killer look. We used to tie the bandanas on our legs too.

Now that's HOT!!! Upscope used to love 'those' girls!!

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 am

OK I had em too Embarassed I was trying to look cool with mine tucked into my black suede boots and Chinese type of shirt, Asian art was in then. We wore those huge huge belts & earings too. In the winter on a cold windy Chicago night those son of britchen parachutes pants were freezing!!!! And all those zippers....brrrrrrrrr I don't miss them. wow
I was obsessed with not just bandana's but the neon Zebra bandana!!! Or Mesh shirts over another shirt? Laughing Stores like Chess King and the merry-go-round were the coolest back then. happy boy
Back to top Go down
Rev

Rev

Number of posts : 1621
Job/hobbies : Maker of Metal

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 am

For me it was a band called KISS
A cool record called Destroyer
and rock song that never fails to make me crank it up...

"Detroit Rock City" rock on
Back to top Go down
Shelby

Shelby

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:17 am

Marty wrote:
Stores like Chess King and the merry-go-round were the coolest back then. happy boy

Ahhhh yes! I still have a couple pieces of hoochie-wear that I purchased from Merry-Go-Round! LOL!! Remember the store Contempo Casuals??
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 am

Shelby wrote:
Marty wrote:
Stores like Chess King and the merry-go-round were the coolest back then. happy boy

Ahhhh yes! I still have a couple pieces of hoochie-wear that I purchased from Merry-Go-Round! LOL!! Remember the store Contempo Casuals??

lol!
Now there's a memory....Clothes from Contempo, Accesories: Bondage belts and spiked bracelets from Odditory Oddysey , Hair like Elvira!
Back to top Go down
kokeakola

kokeakola

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 8:32 am

Chrissy wrote:
Shelby wrote:
Marty wrote:

lol!
Now there's a memory....Clothes from Contempo, Accesories: Bondage belts and spiked bracelets from Odditory Oddysey , Hair like Elvira!
mmmm....Elvira! cheesin'
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 8:41 am

Shelby wrote:
I guess my Metal/Rock roots were planted early without even realizing it until later.

My mom and dad listened to a variety of things, some of it being rock. One of my aunts used to listen to a lot of rock too... Steve Miller Band, Kiss, Lynard Skynnard, Frampton, Heart, Hendrix, Joplin... the list goes on. Also, I have a cousin that's about 6-8 years older than I am and she was a big Sammy Hagar/Montrose fan. I've been a Sammy fan ever since I first heard the song "Red".

The next band to catch my attention a short time later was Aerosmith. You fellas across the pond will laugh at this one, but when I saw their cameo in the god-awful flick "Sgt. Peppers" covering "Come Together" I was awestruck! I thought the song was amazing! I had no idea at the time it was a cover! LOL!! My mom got me the soundtrack and I would play that song over, and over, and over again. My aunt (the one I mention above) found her copy of the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers album and let me listen to it and I loved it. It made me appreciate the Beatles quite a bit.

MTV definitely played a role as well. The cable company where I lived didn't offer it, but my grandmother was able to get it at her house. Every time I'd go visit, I would run downstairs and change the channel as soon as I could. Even if there was a huge family gathering going on, nothing could tear me away from the TV set! Being able to see music videos in their infancy, and be able to put a face with a name was a bonus! Not only did I develop a bigger love for Rock/Metal, but I discovered Duran Duran and had a very long "fling" with them too! Twisted Evil

OMG Aerosmith were always cool !! batting eyelashes Were you on the Aeroforce one fan club? I never renewed but I really wanted to marry Steven Tyler wowie woo wooo. I loved how they played the villans in St. Peppers movie. And At that time I was hopelessly in love with ....Peter Frampton.. WOW what an awesome memory. Duran Duran really have some beautiful songs as well. :clapping: I never saw them live but always wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am

Rev wrote:

Cool!
Pete wrote:

Surely it doesn't take that long at 25? Wink

Marty wrote:
wooohoooooooooo that made my day!!! cheer

My pleasure..
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:38 pm

Rev wrote:

What a place to start!!!

Top band...top record.
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

Number of posts : 3032
Job/hobbies : consumption
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 5:54 pm

O.K. Let's see . . . My dad grew up jamming with Gregg and Duane Allman in Daytona Beach, and he was a regular member in a few different pre- Allman Brothers Band lineups ( Allman Sunshine Band {{ lol Florida - the sunshine state}} , The Allman Joys, and December's Children were among them) Sheez, my grandmother taught Gregg the basics on the piano!

I grew up going, with Dad, to The Capricorn Records Studio ( in Macon, Ga), to hang-out and listen to the band rehearse. The guitar player who, essentially speaking, replaced my dad was Dickey Betts, and I noticed how my dad and Dickey played, at base value, the same blue things, but Dickey's style was/ is much more "flowery," or embellished, "multi-colored and sparkily". I took it that Dad's style was superior cause it was, for lack of a better word, harder, or more primitive sounding, and bluer - more blue? From there, I just got darker, and harder, I guess. LOL Suspect
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Frethead wrote:
O.K. Let's see . . . My dad grew up jamming with Gregg and Duane Allman in Daytona Beach, and he was a regular member in a few different pre- Allman Brothers Band lineups ( Allman Sunshine Band {{ lol Florida - the sunshine state}} , The Allman Joys, and December's Children were among them) Sheez, my grandmother taught Gregg the basics on the piano!

I grew up going, with Dad, to The Capricorn Records Studio ( in Macon, Ga), to hang-out and listen to the band rehearse. The guitar player who, essentially speaking, replaced my dad was Dickey Betts, and I noticed how my dad and Dickey played, at base value, the same blue things, but Dickey's style was/ is much more "flowery," or embellished, "multi-colored and sparkily". I took it that Dad's style was superior cause it was, for lack of a better word, harder, or more primitive sounding, and bluer - more blue? From there, I just got darker, and harder, I guess. LOL Suspect

OMG you are kidding me.!!! rok on

I'm a Gregory's Angel. peace (sorta) I'm over on the Gregg Allman & Allman brothers hittin the web. The Allman Brothers Are in my Top 5. That is so cool about your connection with them. cheers You were lucky to have those experiences and apply them to your own style.
Peachheads unite cheer

Do you listen to Michael or Devon Allmans music at all??
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:33 am

Marty wrote:
Frethead wrote:

I'm a Gregory's Angel. peace (sorta) I'm over on the Gregg Allman & Allman brothers hittin the web. The Allman Brothers Are in my Top 5. That is so cool about your connection with them. cheers You were lucky to have those experiences and apply them to your own style.
Peachheads unite cheer

Yeah, thanks! That is waaaay cool! Shit! A moment, please . . . I might've made a mention about how Greg has, pretty much, always kept the piano playing to the basics, too! HA-Hah-Hah! O, and that I can quote Gregg as saying my dad was "an original brother." That's just so cool to be able to say. Thanks! My "connection" has really taken a blow since my dad passed ( may he rest in peace), but, my aunt stays in regular with Greg and his wife Stacy ( who, shockingly so, looks a WHOLE LOT like my sister, Betsey!) Gregg's my "Uncle Buck," and they do family function sort -of things together, and where am I when they get together, you might ask?! LOL

You know, I must admit that I'm not familiar with Micheal and Devon Allman, but, Derek Trucks' playing turns me into the atomic punk!!! I had read somewhere that Elijah Blue was getting himself worked up into recording some stuff, sometime in the last dark age. (?)
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Frethead wrote:
Marty wrote:
Frethead wrote:

Peachheads unite cheer

Yeah, thanks! That is waaaay cool! Shit! A moment, please . . . I might've made a mention about how Greg has, pretty much, always kept the piano playing to the basics, too! HA-Hah-Hah! O, and that I can quote Gregg as saying my dad was "an original brother." That's just so cool to be able to say. Thanks! My "connection" has really taken a blow since my dad passed ( may he rest in peace), but, my aunt stays in regular with Greg and his wife Stacy ( who, shockingly so, looks a WHOLE LOT like my sister, Betsey!) Gregg's my "Uncle Buck," and they do family function sort -of things together, and where am I when they get together, you might ask?! LOL

You know, I must admit that I'm not familiar with Micheal and Devon Allman, but, Derek Trucks' playing turns me into the atomic punk!!! I had read somewhere that Elijah Blue was getting himself worked up into recording some stuff, sometime in the last dark age. (?)

Where is the I'm not worthy smiley face?? Well, this one will just have to do :ola: My bro is more familiar with the Allman Joy's since it was his generation, But I am very familar with the pictures of them. They post them on the Allman brothers website. Sorry for your Dad's passing. I know when Gregg say's "an original brother" he was the real deal. Cool
I only saw Derek Trucks with the Allman brothers but I would love to see his band also. He sure is talented!!!!!!! I saw Warren Haynes band which is always fun. Elijah's band Deadsy is still recording from what I remember. He has his own style more new wave? Not like the other two Son's which are more blues based rock but I am not all that familiar with it either. Either way its great to have you hear. I wore Greggs pick around my neck until it fell off. Thank God I caught it because I would hate to lose it. I'm so glad he is doing better since his Hep C treatments. The medication really does a number on people to make them better. Uncle Buck is back!! woohoooo!
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 pm

That's cool! I had no idea anyone was talking about the Allman Joys! How weird! Anyway, heres a bit of juicy info, for the next time you go to that site.
When my grandfather went crazy over Dad wanting to "throw his life away," you know," and, play that dreadful rock music," he sent him to military school in Marion, Alabama. O.K. here's the funny part. Dad put a band togerther called the AWOLs, and Duane would go up there and sit in with them, when they played dances and what-not. Can you just see that??? rabbit By the way, December's Children was actually my dad's band in Daytona Beach, and Duane would sit in with them, too. This is cool, too! In the same place that Gregg stated Dad was "an original brother," ( I dont remember where) he said that Dad "was the comic relief when times got hard."
Don't be crazy! Ofcourse, you're worthy! What gives you the idea that I'm special, or more worthy?! Man, dude! C'mon, don't kill the feeling! Warren Haynes is just so gosh darn excellent, it hurts! So, what exactly is a peachhead? I mean, duuhhh, I lived in Atlanta for about twenty years, you know. But, is this some sort -of club type thing?
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Frethead wrote:
That's cool! I had no idea anyone was talking about the Allman Joys! How weird! Anyway, heres a bit of juicy info, for the next time you go to that site.
When my grandfather went crazy over Dad wanting to "throw his life away," you know," and, play that dreadful rock music," he sent him to military school in Marion, Alabama. O.K. here's the funny part. Dad put a band togerther called the AWOLs, and Duane would go up there and sit in with them, when they played dances and what-not. Can you just see that??? rabbit By the way, December's Children was actually my dad's band in Daytona Beach, and Duane would sit in with them, too. This is cool, too! In the same place that Gregg stated Dad was "an original brother," ( I dont remember where) he said that Dad "was the comic relief when times got hard."
Don't be crazy! Ofcourse, you're worthy! What gives you the idea that I'm special, or more worthy?! Man, dude! C'mon, don't kill the feeling! Warren Haynes is just so gosh darn excellent, it hurts! So, what exactly is a peachhead? I mean, duuhhh, I lived in Atlanta for about twenty years, you know. But, is this some sort -of club type thing?

Well I'm a fan...atic I guess. Embarassed Ok I'm worthy cheer afro When I joined the website that was my first question. What is a peachhead? It refers to the Eat a Peach Album, and the World Wide following the Allman brothers have. Like the Grateful Dead had the Dead heads the Allman brothers have the Peach Heads. I only attend the Shows that come to Chicago but the true Peach heads Travel all over the following the Brothers... I met some real cool people on the Site. They'd love to hear from you if you ever felt like sharing. I don't post very often but I do pop in to keep updated. The photo's alone are worth looking at if you didn't want to post. Gregg at 60 still makes my hearts skip a beat!!! lol! cheers

I have only passed through Georgia. It sure is Perty!! My Dad almost bought a Motel on Daytona Beach. He couldn't get my Mom to agree. So that was then end of that story. Sad Thanks for sharing again I find this very interesting. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Fret and marty you guys have told the best stories. How cool the experience was for both of you.
Thanks for sharing about your family Fret..Thats a lot to be proud of..
I have really enjoyed reading about this. I think you guys need your own Allman brothers thread.
Please start one so this can continue. Sounds like a lot of good stories there.
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 8:16 am

Chrissy wrote:
Fret and marty you guys have told the best stories. How cool the experience was for both of you.
Thanks for sharing about your family Fret..Thats a lot to be proud of..
I have really enjoyed reading about this. I think you guys need your own Allman brothers thread.
Please start one so this can continue. Sounds like a lot of good stories there.

lol! Hi Chrissy I get carried away sometimes. That is a good idea though and will keep it in mind for future Allman brothers chat. I can post my fav video's and pictures there. :rockin out: You never know who you'll meet on THE FULL METAL FORUM!!! thums up
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks, Marty! I certainly had made the Eat a Peach association, like, in a heartbeat, but whatever. Thanks, Chrissy! Great thread suggestion, but I'm coming pretty close to blowin' my load, I think ( no pun intended). I'm getting awful close to the fragmentation parameter, you know?! I don't really mean to overextend myself, but I do . geek I just don't have much of a problem talking about my dad, 'cause he was the coolest guy I've ever known! He would've been 62, this year! Steve McQueen was pretty damn cool, too. But, I never knew him. Marty, what's the site? I would enjoy "talking" with those guys!
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 11:11 am

Frethead wrote:
Thanks, Marty! I certainly had made the Eat a Peach association, like, in a heartbeat, but whatever. Thanks, Chrissy! Great thread suggestion, but I'm coming pretty close to blowin' my load, I think ( no pun intended). I'm getting awful close to the fragmentation parameter, you know?! I don't really mean to overextend myself, but I do . geek I just don't have much of a problem talking about my dad, 'cause he was the coolest guy I've ever known! He would've been 62, this year! Steve McQueen was pretty damn cool, too. But, I never knew him. Marty, what's the site? I would enjoy "talking" with those guys!

Your Dad had to leave much too soon. Crying or Very sad

http://www.allmanbrothers.com/index.php

http://www.greggallman.com/index.php
Back to top Go down
Mary1234

Mary1234

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Frethead wrote:

Pretty cool upbringing man!!
Gregg's sister or cousin...I think cousin, Annie Allman has a music store in Savannah GA that my bf and I frequent quite a bit, cus he's an avid guitarist. She has a bunch of jam studio's (or whatever you call them) downstairs and everyone gets stoned down there and jams! Its fun as shit...
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:15 pm

How about that?! That's cool to know! I know that Gregg and Stacy are living somewhere around Savannah, and my aunt told me that it's a really nice house. Ol' Dan Tucker got a land grant from the state of Georgia, for fighting in the Revolutionary War, and set up a plantation on the Savannah River . That's what I was told, anyway. ⭐ study confused 1
Back to top Go down
Mary1234

Mary1234

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Frethead wrote:
How about that?! That's cool to know! I know that Gregg and Stacy are living somewhere around Savannah, and my aunt told me that it's a really nice house. Ol' Dan Tucker got a land grant from the state of Georgia, for fighting in the Revolutionary War, and set up a plantation on the Savannah River . That's what I was told, anyway. ⭐ study confused 1

I heard something like that, I think. The Plantations down here, some of the nicer, well kept ones are GORGEOUS!!
I did not know that Gregg lived near me!!! That is sweeeet!! I saw the Allman's once and Gregg was so fucked up he had to be carried to his piano. It was sad...does he still have a problem with all that or has he quit?
He was great in the movie "RUSH" too!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Metal/Rock?   What got you into Metal/Rock? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What got you into Metal/Rock?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next