Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham Empty
PostSubject: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:50 am

Well. What can I say other than what a disappointment.

Glad I haven't paid to see any other shows but then again, the rest of the shows can't be as poor as this one was.

Steel Panther are just funny. Great banter between songs and, to my surprise, they can some great hooks and proper rythmic songs but the lyrics...? Rolling Eyes Every 80's rock cliché in the book!

Motley were as flat as an English pancake. No energy, no vibe, nuthin. The crowd didn't help either, so quiet even Tommy asked a few times if we were there! Even went as far as to ask if it was just his jet lag or 'is it really quiet in here tonight?' It was quiet. Basically a 'greatest hits' set list. Don't know why they put 'Smokin In The Boys Room' back in the set tho but I liked the gary Glitter intro & outro. Maybe someone should have told them about GG's reputation over here tho? Tommy's solo was unreal to watch and M. Mars solo was as Godawful as ever. Even the stage effects seemed to be scaled down and not as over the top as I've previously seen. Like a kiddies 5th of November firework party compared to a full on explosive display!!!

Nikki's bass sound was atrocious also. Like a cement mixer, just growling but with no distinction in anything. All through the set he was gesturing to his tech for things to be lowered then put back up, then lowered again! But the one thing which I wasn't taken with was Nikki spitting 'blood' into everyone in the first fews rows. I'm not sure how, or why, he deems that to be entertainment. Hell, back on the 86 tour I saw him literally kick the shit of some idiot in the front row who spat at him! And he has piled on the pounds also!!!!

Leppard, to my surprise, were the best band of the night. Their main problem, in my eyes, is they play too many wimpy songs these days. And they drop them in the set at bad times. They just get rockin when they stick in some girly wimp song and bring the vibe down again. The first 4/5 songs were not good Undeafeated/Rocket/Make Love Like A Man/ Have You Ever Needed Someone...not my favs. I was sure by then that I would not be seeing the whole show! But they did pick it up and by the last few songs they did get everyone on their feet (in a 3/4 full arena. I expected to see more peeps there tbh). Pour Some Sugar On Me had the crowd rockin! Highlight for me though was LET IT GO!!!!! Did not expect that one! PURE class and it reminded me of what Leppard can do when they want.

Leppard are one of those bands that have reached a point where they can't do everything and some songs have to sacrificed. Though I didn't expect Rock Rock to be one of them. Only Photograph from Pyromania got played. Would have like Too Late For Love to be played too. Biggest surprise of the night though was when a mosH pit(!!!!) developed during Wasted by the drunk element of the crowd!!! never thought I'd see that at a Leppard concert!!

I'm sure there will better shows on the tour than this one, but I'm glad I haven't shelled out another £56 to find out. Cos if it doesn't improve that's a lot of money to waste. Overall SP 2/10 - Motley 4/10 Leppard 6, maybe 7!/10

Last edited by RFFB on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:57 am

RFFB wrote:
Well. What can I say other than what a disappointment.

Glad I haven't paid to see any other shows but then again, the rest of the shows can't be as poor as this one was.

Steel Panther are just funny. Great banter between songs and, to my surprise, they can some great hooks and proper rythmic songs but the lyrics...? Rolling Eyes Every 80's rock cliché in the book!

Motley were as flat as an English pancake. No energy, no vibe, nuthin. The crowd didn't help either, so quiet even Tommy asked a few times if we were there! Even went as far as to ask if it was just his jet lag or 'is it really quiet in here tonight?' It was quiet. Basically a 'greatest hits' set list. Don't know why they put 'Smokin In The Boys Room' back in the set tho but I liked the gary Glitter intro & outro. Maybe someone should have told them about GG's reputation over here tho? Tommy's solo was unreal to watch and M. Mars solo was as Godawful as ever. Even the stage effects seemed to be scaled down and not as over the top as I've previously seen. Like a kiddies 5th of November firework party compared to a full on explosive display!!!

Nikki's bass sound was atrocious also. Like a cement mixer, just growling but with no distinction in anything. All through the set he was gesturing to his tech for things to be lowered then put back up, then lowered again! But the one thing which I wasn't taken with was Nikki spitting 'blood' into everyone in the first fews rows. I'm not sure how, or why, he deems that to be entertainment. Hell, back on the 86 tour I saw him literally kick the shit of some idiot in the front row who spat at him! And he has piled on the pounds also!!!!

Leppard, to my surprise, were the best band of the night. Their main problem, in my eyes, is they play too many wimpy songs these days. And they drop them in the set at bad times. They just get rockin when they stick in some girly wimp song and bring the vibe down again. The first 4/5 songs were not good Undeafeated/Rocket/Make Love Like A Man/ Have You Ever Needed Someone...not my favs. I was sure by then that I would not be seeing the whole show! But they did pick it up and by the last few songs they did get everyone on their feat (in a 3/4 full arena. I expected to see more peeps there tbh). Pour Some Sugar On Me had the crowd rockin! Highlight for me though was LET IT GO!!!!! Did not expect that one! PURE class and it reminded me of what Leppard can do when they want.

Leppard are one of those bands that have reached a point where they can't do everything and some songs have to sacrificed. Though I didn't expect Rock Rock to be one of them. Only Photograph from Pyromania got played. Would have like Too Late For Love to be played too. Biggest surprise of the night though was when a mosH pit(!!!!) developed during Wasted by the drunk element of the crowd!!! never thought I'd see that at a Leppard concert!!

I'm sure there will better shows on the tour than this one, but I'm glad I haven't shelled out another £56 to find out. Cos if it doesn't improve that's a lot of money to waste. Overall SP 2/10 - Motley 4/10 Leppard 6, maybe 7!/10

Having seen Steel Panther on their own I know they are a lot better than this review. A 40 minute set won't do them justice when half they're own set is based on their banter and arguments...the lyrics are meant to be puerile though. Go see them when they your here in March on their own. I guarantee it'll be better...

Crue...depends whether Vince decides to turn up or not.

Def Leppard..like Kiss they have a mssive backlog and are gonna disappoint a few people. I agree they play too many ballads but when you're famous for ballads sometimes you have to play them...

I'll review Sunday's show & report back...
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 8:21 am

Pete wrote:
Having seen Steel Panther on their own I know they are a lot better than this review. A 40 minute set won't do them justice when half they're own set is based on their banter and arguments...the lyrics are meant to be puerile though. Go see them when they your here in March on their own. I guarantee it'll be better...

Def Leppard..like Kiss they have a mssive backlog and are gonna disappoint a few people. I agree they play too many ballads but when you're famous for ballads sometimes you have to play them...

Surprisingly Vince was well on form! He really messed around with Nikki, trying to wind him up, jokingly of course! He looked happy, ran around and sang his usual half lines of the lyrics!!! The first 2 or 3 songs the sound was so bad you could hardly make anything out at all but once they kinda sorted it, Vince was loud n clear. The rest of the band was just muddy.

40 mins for SP!! More like 30!!! Came on at 6:30 sharp and were off just after 7pm. They played 6 perhaps 7 songs but the banter!!!!! Jeez! I was laughing my ass off!!! The bassist is well funny! All he kept saying was "I want to put my penis in a vagina!!!" and doin his lipstick in a mirror on stage!!

Oh, one more thing I forgot to add...MOTLEY seemed to play the songs slower than they usually do live also. No fire in them. And Tommy just looked bored. He used to be awesome to just watch hit the skins but he didn't have any passion. Shame.

Yeah, it's not that the Lepp ballands are bad...it's just not live material. I can understand it in the USA where they might hav ebeen singles and it's more what they are known for, but here? Give me more ROCK please! Still, I got to hear Let It Go & Switch625 so it was still pretty cool!!!... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 am

RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:

Surprisingly Vince was well on form! He really messed around with Nikki, trying to wind him up, jokingly of course! He looked happy, ran around and sang his usual half lines of the lyrics!!! The first 2 or 3 songs the sound was so bad you could hardly make anything out at all but once they kinda sorted it, Vince was loud n clear. The rest of the band was just muddy.

40 mins for SP!! More like 30!!! Came on at 6:30 sharp and were off just after 7pm. They played 6 perhaps 7 songs but the banter!!!!! Jeez! I was laughing my ass off!!! The bassist is well funny! All he kept saying was "I want to put my penis in a vagina!!!" and doin his lipstick in a mirror on stage!!

Oh, one more thing I forgot to add...MOTLEY seemed to play the songs slower than they usually do live also. No fire in them. And Tommy just looked bored. He used to be awesome to just watch hit the skins but he didn't have any passion. Shame.

Yeah, it's not that the Lepp ballands are bad...it's just not live material. I can understand it in the USA where they might hav ebeen singles and it's more what they are known for, but here? Give me more ROCK please! Still, I got to hear Let It Go & Switch625 so it was still pretty cool!!!... Very Happy

When they do their own show theirs a 5 minute Mirror solo that is freaking hilarious! happy boy happy boy happy boy

Oh and Leppards set would be soooooo different if Mr S. Clark were still with us..
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 8:52 am

Pete wrote:

When they do their own show theirs a 5 minute Mirror solo that is freaking hilarious! Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham 123483 Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham 123483 Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham 123483

Oh and Leppards set would be soooooo different if Mr S. Clark were still with us..
If good ol' Steve C. were here the balads would be proper ones like Too Late For Love or Mirror Mirror...not the sugery stuff they churn out now.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Found an online set list...
LEPPARD
Undefeated
Rocket
Action (Sweet cover)
Make Love Like a Man
When Love and Hate Collide
Let It Go
Gods of War
Two Steps Behind
Bringin' on the Heartbreak
Switch 625
Hysteria
Armageddon It
Animal
Photograph
Pour Some Sugar on Me
Encore:
Let's Get Rocked
Wasted

MOTLEY
Wild Side
Saints of Los Angeles
Live Wire
Shout at the Devil
Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)
Primal Scream
Home Sweet Home
Looks That Kill
Mutherfucker of the Year
Drum Solo
Dr. Feelgood
Girls, Girls, Girls
(intro Gary Glitter RnR Part 2)Smokin' In The Boys Room (outro Gary Glitter RnR Part 2)
(Brownsville Station cover)
Kickstart My Heart
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 am

RFFB wrote:
LEPPARD
Undefeated
Rocket
Action (Sweet cover)
Make Love Like a Man
Let It Go
Gods of War
Two Steps Behind
Switch 625
Hysteria
Armageddon It
Animal
Photograph
Pour Some Sugar on Me
Encore:
Let's Get Rocked
Wasted

Drop the songs in red & replace them with Billy's Got a Gun,Die Hard the Hunter, Too Late For Love, Rock Rock, Rock of Ages (can't believe this wasn't played!) & Women, that'd be better!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:01 am

Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:
LEPPARD
Undefeated
Rocket
Action (Sweet cover)
Make Love Like a Man
Let It Go
Gods of War
Two Steps Behind
Switch 625
Hysteria
Armageddon It
Animal
Photograph
Pour Some Sugar on Me
Encore:
Let's Get Rocked
Wasted

Drop the songs in red & replace them with Billy's Got a Gun,Die Hard the Hunter, Too Late For Love, Rock Rock, Rock of Ages (can't believe this wasn't played!) & Women, that'd be better!
The only differences I'd make is I'd keep Switch625 (always been one of my personal favs) and I'd drop Rocket. One of my personal most hated Lepp songs!

Bringin On The Heartbreak is a great song when played as it is on High n Dry. The acoustic version is just lame. But I'd still prefer Another Hit Hit n Run tbh. Otherwise, good selection of tunes from you and those would have made for a stunning set list and a more rockin one also.

I wonder how V Campbell feels about not one song (not that I'm aware of anyway) being played from the albums he contributed too!? So just for him I'll also add PROMISES to the songs to add. Fine tune that one.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 am

On and it seems my memory ain't what it was! seems it was When Love & Hate Collide and not Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad that was played. Not much diff between those 2 poor wimpy songs anyway!!!!... Rolling Eyes

And I think SP were on more like 40 mins after all. I didn't really pay much attention to the time while they were on, but that seems to be the general concensus!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:25 am

RFFB wrote:
On and it seems my memory ain't what it was! seems it was When Love & Hate Collide and not Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad that was played. Not much diff between those 2 poor wimpy songs anyway!!!!... Rolling Eyes

And I think SP were on more like 40 mins after all. I didn't really pay much attention to the time while they were on, but that seems to be the general concensus!!!

I quite like both those songs... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 7:33 am

Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:

Ha!!!!

So YOU'RE the fan who likes these!!!!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 8:04 am

RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:

Ha!!!!

So YOU'RE the fan who likes these!!!!!!

lol!

Yes M'lord... farao
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 10:54 am

Pete wrote:
Yes M'lord... farao
You are hearby ordered to listen to High n Dry & Pyromania on rotation!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 am

Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham Comedy11
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Roger. H wrote:
That picture seems to be cropping up quite a bit recently!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 5:04 pm

They added 'Women' to the show at Nottingham but dropped Wasted. Took a look at their previous set lists and they seem to change it most nights. I have a feelin B/ham will be bettered by far on this tour.

I had a look yesterday for available tickets and all but Glasgow had standing tix left. Today no standing tix left. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 1:24 am

RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:
Yes M'lord... farao
You are hearby ordered to listen to High n Dry & Pyromania on rotation!

Shall do so today!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 7:07 am

Roger. H wrote:

Oi!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 8:28 am

RFFB wrote:
They added 'Women' to the show at Nottingham but dropped Wasted. Took a look at their previous set lists and they seem to change it most nights. I have a feelin B/ham will be bettered by far on this tour.

I had a look yesterday for available tickets and all but Glasgow had standing tix left. Today no standing tix left. Oh well.

Just looked at the setlist. Cannot beleive what they open with!! I udnerstand why but come on...make it a main set song...gotta open with Stagefright or Rock Rock (til you drop)!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 8:35 am

Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:

Just looked at the setlist. Cannot beleive what they open with!! I udnerstand why but come on...make it a main set song...gotta open with Stagefright or Rock Rock (til you drop)!
Gotta agree 100%.

They moved Let It Go one up in the set also. Not sure why cos it was fine where it was and the first 4 songs were out of the way. Wasn't the best start to a show, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 8:39 am

RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:

Gotta agree 100%.

They moved Let It Go one up in the set also. Not sure why cos it was fine where it was and the first 4 songs were out of the way. Wasn't the best start to a show, that's for sure.

Hope they keep Gods of War in the set...sure I'll enjoy it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 1:10 pm

"Can't believe the shite the youngsters listen to nowadays !!"

Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham Gossip11
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 7:10 am

Roger. H wrote:
"Can't believe the shite the youngsters listen to nowadays !!"
Youngsters!!!!!!... Embarassed

lol!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 7:40 am

Enjoy the show Pete! I'm sure it will be far, far better than B/ham.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 1:45 am

Ok...here we go!!!

Steel Panther
Awesome! Had the crowd on their feet from the start of Supersonic Sex Machine to the final POWER chords of Death to all but Metal, seeming liek they've been playing arena's all their career. The stage rap was again hilarious..interesting to see the Michael Starr is now a Skinny Bret Michaels...
The perfect way to open the show, making sure that the Crue & Leppard knew they were in for a fight...can't wait for the shows in March...9.5/10 (.5 deducted as they weren't on long enough!)

Motley Crue
Opening with a cacophony of pyro exploding during a song coming over the PA & launching into Wildside the Crue were ready to rock. Hit followed hit, Vince sounded quite good (and looks a little leaner these days...). I know elsewhere someones mentioned them being a bit disjointed after each song & yes it was noticeable but if Mick Mars needs a few minutes to recover then who cares. Considering his illness it's a credit to him that he gets up on stage and plays for 90 minutes (even if his solo was boring!). The drum solo on the roller coaster is cool too. Managed to get a drenching too at the end of the Crue's set.
As it was Nikki's birthday Joe Elliot came on stage and had the crowd sing Happy Birthday to him..pity they had to go so early as everyone seemed really into the show...8/10 (points deducted for Mutherfucker of the year & the guitar solo)

Def Leppard
What can I say about the Leps? Slick, polished, professional & a fantastic live act. I agree with Adam that the set is paced a little oddly and just as they get the momementum going they play a ballad. We did get Women though which was cool...9/10 (point deducted for too many ballads. Play some rock songs guys you have plenty of them!).

Rick Allen continues to amaze me with his drumming & for a 50 something Phil Collen looks really good. Def-initley one of my favourite bands around. To think that The Leps & Crue have 60 (!!) years experience between them!!! I'm sure some left before Leppard came on, their loss!

All in a fucking great night..(except for the prices of merch & lack of medium Dr feelgood baseball shirts!). Hopefully all three bands do more shows over here in the near future...

Double headline shows are the future. I'd like to see Poison/Cinderella & a.n.other band now... Very Happy

Last edited by Pete on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham   Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leppard/Motley & some Panther lot at B/ham
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next