Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!
 
HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Share
 

 Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Age : 48
Location : United Kingdom
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 2:12 am

Ozzy Osbourne has issued the following statement (we are guessing he had help with it) in response to his lawsuit against Tony Iommi over the Black Sabbath name.

Below is my official press statement on the official Black Sabbath trademark lawsuit. I am very saddened that I've had to take legal action against Tony. This is something that I've tried to avoid for years. I am not Geezer or Bill's voice. However, till the day I die I will not change my mind on this issue. The Black Sabbath trademark should be equally owned by Geezer, Bill, Tony and I as the true Black Sabbath lineup is Tony, Geezer, Bill and I. We've all been mates since school. I've always said there is an invisible thread that holds us together. Tony, lets get this ridiculous issue sorted and move on with our lives. You're 61, I'm 60. I hope that we've got a good 20 years left in us. But if not, God forbid something happens to you. What's going to happen to the Black Sabbath trademark? Who's going to oversee it? Don't you think after we're long gone the rights should stay in your family, my family, Bill's family and Geezer's family?

Statement from OZZY OSBOURNE:

"It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990's, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of 'Black Sabbath' was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name 'Black Sabbath' which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the 'Black Sabbath' brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name 'Black Sabbath' now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it's had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don't have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We've all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We're all in our 60's now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing."

_________________
Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Banner
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Age : 45
Location : Desolation Boulevard..
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:28 am

Hmmm...I smell the scent of Mrs O in this...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Age : 49
Location : Burbank, California
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 7:28 am

I think you smells correct........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Age : 59
Location : The Cave Of Goodies.
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 10:39 am

That's weird, I can smell Carrots !!!! scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Age : 106
Location : Anywhere but where I am!
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 3:44 pm

I believe, in law, the 'last man standing' principle takes effect. In other words Mr Iommi is the only member of Sabbath never to have left/quit and therefore the name IS his. He carried on the name long after all the others had fallen, so he could easily argue that without him doing so there would have been no name to resurect.

Still, I have to agree with Ozzy, in principle tho!, Sabbath IS Ozzy, Geezer, Tony & Bill. And they aren't the only band to have had 'name' issues over the years...

Carrots? Wondered what that smell was!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Age : 45
Location : Desolation Boulevard..
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 1:24 am

I assume this issue is why 'Heaven and Hell' are called such?

God I HATE Shazza Osbourne. kill :mad as hell:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Age : 48
Location : United Kingdom
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 2:48 pm

The whole thing stinks! Evil or Very Mad

Heaven & Bell (End)! - Go do some shampoo adverts Sharon are u listening

_________________
Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Banner
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Age : 45
Location : Desolation Boulevard..
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:14 am

Matty35 wrote:
The whole thing stinks! Evil or Very Mad

Heaven & Bell (End)! - Go crawl into the deepest darkest hole you can find and don't come out Sharon.are u listening

Fixed that for you Matty.. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skezza

Skezza

Number of posts : 218
Age : 29
Location : England
Job/hobbies : University, Guitars, Football, HEAVY METAL
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 pm

RFFB wrote:

Still, I have to agree with Ozzy, in principle tho!, Sabbath IS Ozzy, Geezer, Tony & Bill. And they aren't the only band to have had 'name' issues over the years...

Carrots? Wondered what that smell was!
You say that, but many bands go through slight lineup changes and are still the same band. Others go through even bigger lineup changes and are still the same band. Bill Ward played on the first black sabbath record after Ozzy. That means 3/4's of the lineup are the same, but it is not Black Sabbath. What about Iron Maiden? We talk about the classic Maiden lineup, but lets not forget Dennis Stratton (I believe), Clive Burr and Paul Di'Anno, all played on the first Iron Maiden album. That means of their 'classic lineup' only Murray and Harris are actually on the first record. Is it still Iron Maiden? Of course it is, is every album with Dickinson and the other guys an Iron Maiden record, of course it is Smile It is still Black Sabbath, even as watery and trivial as it got going into the late 80s and 90s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Age : 49
Location : Burbank, California
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 8:19 am

Skezza wrote:
RFFB wrote:

Still, I have to agree with Ozzy, in principle tho!, Sabbath IS Ozzy, Geezer, Tony & Bill. And they aren't the only band to have had 'name' issues over the years...

Carrots? Wondered what that smell was!
You say that, but many bands go through slight lineup changes and are still the same band. Others go through even bigger lineup changes and are still the same band. Bill Ward played on the first black sabbath record after Ozzy. That means 3/4's of the lineup are the same, but it is not Black Sabbath. What about Iron Maiden? We talk about the classic Maiden lineup, but lets not forget Dennis Stratton (I believe), Clive Burr and Paul Di'Anno, all played on the first Iron Maiden album. That means of their 'classic lineup' only Murray and Harris are actually on the first record. Is it still Iron Maiden? Of course it is, is every album with Dickinson and the other guys an Iron Maiden record, of course it is Smile It is still Black Sabbath, even as watery and trivial as it got going into the late 80s and 90s.




You're good!!!!!! study must be all the schooling?
I'm with you..why let it die if no one is using it. If you only like a certain lineup then its you're choice...Don't go or buy the album if ti bothers you...Some of us might like it!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Age : 106
Location : Anywhere but where I am!
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 4:34 am

Chrissy wrote:
Skezza wrote:
RFFB wrote:

Still, I have to agree with Ozzy, in principle tho!, Sabbath IS Ozzy, Geezer, Tony & Bill. And they aren't the only band to have had 'name' issues over the years...

Carrots? Wondered what that smell was!
You say that, but many bands go through slight lineup changes and are still the same band. Others go through even bigger lineup changes and are still the same band. Bill Ward played on the first black sabbath record after Ozzy. That means 3/4's of the lineup are the same, but it is not Black Sabbath. What about Iron Maiden? We talk about the classic Maiden lineup, but lets not forget Dennis Stratton (I believe), Clive Burr and Paul Di'Anno, all played on the first Iron Maiden album. That means of their 'classic lineup' only Murray and Harris are actually on the first record. Is it still Iron Maiden? Of course it is, is every album with Dickinson and the other guys an Iron Maiden record, of course it is Smile It is still Black Sabbath, even as watery and trivial as it got going into the late 80s and 90s.


You're good!!!!!! study must be all the schooling?
I'm with you..why let it die if no one is using it. If you only like a certain lineup then its you're choice...Don't go or buy the album if ti bothers you...Some of us might like it!!!!
er, guys? That's why I said 'in principle!' But to play devils advocate hear and using IM as an example as its them you mentioned, if Steve Harris left IM and they continued with the name how would you feel? I certainly don't believe that the line-up on a bands 1st album means that is the classic line-up either. The classic line-up is the one that either you personally associate with (eg may be when you first became aware of the band, making it a personal choice) or when the band has it's most success or even one that is just commonly accepted as being 'THE line-up'

For examples, would anyone argue that the classic Priest line up isn't Halford, Tipton, Downing & Hill...no-one cares who the drummer is, they've had so many!!! Would anyone argue that the classic KISS line-up isn't Frehley, Stanley, Criss, Simmons (I didn't say best line-up btw!). The classic Deep Purple line-up will be the Gillan/Glover one, but me I much prefer the Coverdale/Hughes line-up, but I couldn't say that the Gillan/Glover one isn't the most accepted. There are certain bands that when you hear the name you see a specific line-up.

And Sabbath are one of them. Like I said in my original post, I believe in law, Ozzy doesn't have a chance. He left/was sacked back in 1979 was it? He had no involement until many years later. He has forgone his right or claim to the name. But he will ALWAYS be the one who comes to mind when you say the name Black Sabbath along with Ward, Iommi & Butler to fans of a certain age anyway. (ok, us oldies!) Whoever has the name has the right to use it, with whatever line-up they choose to perform under...but can you honestly say when you hear the name of Black Sabbath you think of Tony Martin, Ray Gillian (rip) or any of the other members, singers or otherwise, other than than the mighty GEZZER BUTLER, BILL WARD, TONY IOMMI and OZZY OSBOURNE?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skezza

Skezza

Number of posts : 218
Age : 29
Location : England
Job/hobbies : University, Guitars, Football, HEAVY METAL
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:03 am

I understand. Like you said, its about what you associate with. Many would call Megadeth's classic lineup, Mustaine, Friedman, Ellefson and Menza. However, I know quite a few Megadeth fans who almost swear by Poland, Samuelson, Ellefson and Mustaine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Age : 45
Location : Desolation Boulevard..
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:05 am

Sharon Osbourne must DIE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi   Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Ozzy Osbourne comments on lawsuit against Tony Iommi
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Full Metal Forum :: The Topics :: Classic & Old School-
Jump to: