Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favourite Van HALEN record

Go down 
+8
RAZOR777
Rock
kokeakola
RFFB
Matty35
Roger. H
Rev
Pete
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Favourite CVH Record
Van Halen
Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_lcap82%Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 82% [ 9 ]
Van Halen II
Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Women and Children First
Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_lcap9%Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Fair Warning
Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_lcap9%Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Diver Down
Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
MCMXXXIV (1984)
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 7:51 am

Matty35 wrote:
God, how many times have I included "Unchained" or "Mean Street" on compilation CD's for the car! Laughing

Not Enough!! (How's that for a VH related pun?!)
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Rock wrote:
Unchained is one of the all time best after most of the stuff on VH1......by the way RFFB, if you know the chick in you avatar, send me her number. Razz
That chick is a certain Miss Shirley Manson *swoon* :Marys Drool: :Marys Drool: :Marys Drool: and if I had her number I'd be the happiest guy on earth!!!!!....
Back to top Go down
RAZOR777

RAZOR777

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:12 pm

VH without question.

From a guitarist's perspective, "I'm the One" could carry that album even without all the other classic, more well-known tunes.

Simply a mind-blowing record from start to finish. Pure gold.
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 pm

kokeakola wrote:
Went with the 1st one.

agreed!
Back to top Go down
Rock

Rock

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:18 am

RAZOR777 wrote:
VH without question.

From a guitarist's perspective, "I'm the One" could carry that album even without all the other classic, more well-known tunes.

Simply a mind-blowing record from start to finish. Pure gold.
Yeh mate, Atomic Punk, Aint Talkin Bout LOve, etc etc, what fkn absolute amazing stuff, the only other single album that blew me away in that era was Ozzys first with Randy and second for that matter, 2 guys with their own style goin, and were defining for me as a musician. Smile
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:46 pm

I feel all alone in a corner at a party... Sad

'Fair Warning'...anyone else? Hello? Anyone? No?

Just me then!!!!!!... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:42 am

RFFB wrote:

See. It's really diificult to split the CVH 'Six pack' as each record is as good as the other (IMO). I love FW too (it was the 2nd VH tape I got after 1984) but the debut is just brilliant in everyway.
Back to top Go down
Rock

Rock

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:26 am

RFFB wrote:

Hahaha, well dont stand in the fkn corner, the action is always on the kitchen table.........Fair Warning was cool, Unchained rocks, top 3 Vh song for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

Number of posts : 3032
Job/hobbies : consumption
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:22 am

Geez, man. Get just a little dirty, would you? VH is obviously finest the example of a hard working Southern CA band; although, Women and Children First is by far the hardest gut rocking serving. I find much more difficulty in voting for the polished, repolished and shiny showroom quality of Fair Warning, than following my rock 'n' roll heart. Besides, Eddie ( eh . . . GAWD) is holding an Explorer on the cover!

Last edited by Frethead on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 am

Come to think of it . . . 1984 WUZZ pretty fxxxin' excellent. I mean, too. In addition. And, VH II got my funky feet to movin' some. Hey, hey, hey!!! afro

Last edited by Frethead on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:30 am

Frethead wrote:
Come to think of it . . . 1984 was pretty fxxxin' excellent. I mean, too. I n addition. And, VH II got my funky feet to movin' some. Hey, hey, hey!!! afro

See. It's really difficult to pick a favourite from 'the sixpack'...
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 am

Pete wrote:
Frethead wrote:
Come to think of it . . . 1984 was pretty fxxxin' excellent. I mean, too. I n addition. And, VH II got my funky feet to movin' some. Hey, hey, hey!!! afro

See. It's really difficult to pick a favourite from 'the sixpack'...

You are exactly right, my friend! I was thinking about what you had said when I said what I said about what you had said. Hey, is this some sort-of trap you've concocted for your own twisted enjoyment?! O, well. I'll save a little, as I shave some for my pizza and some cheese! cheesin' rock on idiot1

Last edited by Frethead on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : There was a missing comma, I noticed.)
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:52 am

scratch This is like trying to pick my favorite Aerosmith album. I'm all stressed out now. No

But since I am old school I just went with VH The first VH 8-track I owned. Laughing smokin
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:17 am

Marty wrote:
scratch This is like trying to pick my favorite Aerosmith album. I'm all stressed out now. No

But since I am old school I just went with VH The first VH 8-track I owned. Laughing smokin
What was that, Marty? bounce Duher. I get it, now.

Last edited by Frethead on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My life! It flashed before my eyes, and I had to run away!!!)
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 am

Marty wrote:

Good point! Here's another one. Your favorite AC/DC album. Hmmm. Back in Black? For Those About to Rock? Dirty Deeds? confused 1 rock band
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 am

Frethead wrote:
Geez, man. Get just a little dirty, would you? VH is obviously finest the example of a hard working Southern CA band; although, Women and Children First is by far the hardest gut rocking serving. I find much more difficulty in voting for the polished,repolished and shiny, showroom quality of Fair Warning, than following my rock 'n' roll heart. Besides, Eddie ( eh . . . GAWD) is holding an Explorer on the cover!
I don't mind 'polished' albums as long as they're done right. Back In Black, Destroyer, Rocks, Hysteria all good examples...there just comes a time in a bands carear where they can actually afford to get a decent producer and pay for some good studio time!

I don't actually think Fair Warning is polished tho...it's just got a bigger sound. As for WACF I also prefer that to the first album. Much rockier and heavy sound. There are some outstanding songs on VH 'the debut', but also a few fillers. Make up mistake, it is one of my favs, along with all DLR VH albums, I just prefer FW & WACF. There really isn't much in it TBH...
Back to top Go down
Rock

Rock

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 8:31 am

RFFB wrote:
Frethead wrote:
Geez, man. Get just a little dirty, would you? VH is obviously finest the example of a hard working Southern CA band; although, Women and Children First is by far the hardest gut rocking serving. I find much more difficulty in voting for the polished,repolished and shiny, showroom quality of Fair Warning, than following my rock 'n' roll heart. Besides, Eddie ( eh . . . GAWD) is holding an Explorer on the cover!
I don't mind 'polished' albums as long as they're done right. Back In Black, Destroyer, Rocks, Hysteria all good examples...there just comes a time in a bands carear where they can actually afford to get a decent producer and pay for some good studio time!

I don't actually think Fair Warning is polished tho...it's just got a bigger sound. As for WACF I also prefer that to the first album. Much rockier and heavy sound. There are some outstanding songs on VH 'the debut', but also a few fillers. Make up mistake, it is one of my favs, along with all DLR VH albums, I just prefer FW & WACF. There really isn't much in it TBH...

Sorry, but I hardly think Back in Black was polished let alone Destroyer, but Hysteria certainly was. Mutt Lange just knew how to mix it all down to get that fat Marshall sound and space everything right. Were jack shit guitar and vocal layers on his albums, nice and raw, the way i like it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 2:27 pm

[

Sorry, but I hardly think Back in Black was polished let alone Destroyer, but Hysteria certainly was. Mutt Lange just knew how to mix it all down to get that fat Marshall sound and space everything right. Were jack shit guitar and vocal layers on his albums, nice and raw, the way i like it. Smile[/quote]

I concur Rock. Alas, one man's polish is another man's method. Thin guitars and fat amps. "No, no, no!" "Just play it the way I did!" "Get out of here! I wrote it, I'll play it!" True?
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:17 am

Frethead wrote:
[

Sorry, but I hardly think Back in Black was polished let alone Destroyer, but Hysteria certainly was. Mutt Lange just knew how to mix it all down to get that fat Marshall sound and space everything right. Were jack shit guitar and vocal layers on his albums, nice and raw, the way i like it. Smile

I concur Rock. Alas, one man's polish is another man's method. Thin guitars and fat amps. "No, no, no!" "Just play it the way I did!" "Get out of here! I wrote it, I'll play it!" True?[/quote]

Interesting. But what does this have to do with Van Halen? confused scratch Wink
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 8:40 am

Pete wrote:
Frethead wrote:
[

I concur Rock. Alas, one man's polish is another man's method. Thin guitars and fat amps. "No, no, no!" "Just play it the way I did!" "Get out of here! I wrote it, I'll play it!" True?

Interesting. But what does this have to do with Van Halen? confused scratch Wink[/quote]

You got me again, Pete! Remarkablementary! At this point in the discussion, the only mentionable association I can think of would be that between Ted Templeman and John " Mutt" Lange. wow cheeky :Marys Drool:
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Rock wrote:

Really?

Have to admit to being very surprised by that. Compared to their previous albums these albums were in a different league production & sound wise. AC/DC were heading in a similar direction before 'BIB' but hadn't quite got it (got to admit I do prefer the rawness of Highway To Hell & Powerage) and KISS were just taken to a higher plane.

I think the production on both of these albums has helped them stay as fresh today as the day they came out...timeless classics.

As I said before every bands sound changes a bit once they actually have the money to do what they want in the studio, some times for the better (VH) and sometimes for the worse (G'n'R!!!)
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 am

RFFB wrote:
Rock wrote:

Really?

Have to admit to being very surprised by that. Compared to their previous albums these albums were in a different league production & sound wise. AC/DC were heading in a similar direction before 'BIB' but hadn't quite got it (got to admit I do prefer the rawness of Highway To Hell & Powerage) and KISS were just taken to a higher plane.

I think the production on both of these albums has helped them stay as fresh today as the day they came out...timeless classics.

As I said before every bands sound changes a bit once they actually have the money to do what they want in the studio, some times for the better (VH) and sometimes for the worse (G'n'R!!!)

Me too. Powerage is my fave Bon Scott era AC/DC record..
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 am

quote="Pete"]
RFFB wrote:
Rock wrote:

Really?

Me too. Powerage is my fave Bon Scott era AC/DC record..[/quote]

quote="Pete"]
RFFB wrote:
Rock wrote:

Really?

Me too. Powerage is my fave Bon Scott era AC/DC record..[/quote]

O yeah, Bon had it in totally for the band! Powerage, If You Want Blood, and Dirty Deeds killed! Although, one must consider the energy in the band at the time, you know? They had intense comaraderie, burgeoning talent, and had cut their teeth in low ceilinged watering holes grinding -out the dark blues.[
Back to top Go down
Rock

Rock

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 pm

Highway to Hell, Back in Black and For those About to Rock were all Mutt Lange productions, and Black Ice sounds the same, even though it isnt him producing. If I could have any producer Iwanted it would be Mutt, and the bonus he might bring his mrs along, the very sexy Shania Twain. Smile
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:48 pm

O, yeah! ( Yello)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Van HALEN record   Favourite Van HALEN record - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Van HALEN record
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next