Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forgotten Gems!

Go down 
+7
Chrissy
'Scope
Roger. H
kokeakola
Pete
RFFB
Matty35
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:08 am

im sorry
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:22 pm

RFFB wrote:
OK...here's one...

GIUFFRIA...the self titled debut album!

What an album. Pomp/AOR/Glam...whatever you wanna call it, it is a magnificent album. Great guitar from Craig Goldy and full of swirling, atmospheric keyboards from Mr Giuffria himself. Hell, this album had an almost perfect sound!!! And in David Glen Eisley a singer who could sing and had grit in his voice as well as emotion. I'm playin it now as I type this and I'd even forgot just how good it is!!! 'Call To The Heart' is as good as any Journey song. The more rocky songs in 'Do Me Right', 'Don't Tear Me Down', 'Trouble Again', 'Line Of Fire' etc were made to be true stadium rockers. Melodic rock doesn't come much better than this. And let's not forget the master-piece that is 'Out Of The Blue', with it's prelude 'The Awakening' that is so creepy and atmospheric that an ex-girlfriend wouldn't let me play this song with the lights out!!!!! "Wake up, it's just a dream. A scary...little...dream" followed by a childrens choir that really is disturbing!!!! Would grace any horror movie!!! Segues into 'Out Of The Blue' and you seriously MUST hear this song before you die!!! A really restrainted piece of majestic rock if ever I heard one, yet powerful.

I had high hopes for this lot and hoped they might even get to the UK, so I could actually meet an ex-Angel ( I love you Angel) in Gregg, but alas the second album 'Silk And Steel' was pants and it fell apart. But at least they gave us this classic bit of rock... Very Happy

This ain't 'pop-tastic'...it's 'pomp-tastic!!'

OMG....Upscope's heard this before. He's gonna have to give this a shout.

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:11 am

The Scream - Let it Scream

Playing this now.

Awesome record. An offer to join Motley Crue is obviously not to be turned down, but this band should've been massive too.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 6:50 am

Pete wrote:
The Scream - Let it Scream

Playing this now.

Awesome record. An offer to join Motley Crue is obviously not to be turned down, but this band should've been massive too.
Been looking for The Scream stuff on ebay...it's either very scarce or I've just been unlucky!!!... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Just thought I would add two of my favorites:

Black and Blue-just listened to Miss Mystery this morning and one of my all time favorite bands
Tesla! In my opinion these guys never got the applause they deserved and album oafter album was always better than the last!

Say them once and they were amazing. They did a nod and sung "War Pigs" and it was soooo good.
Anyone else love these guys?
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:53 pm

BONHAM----The Disregard of Timekeeping---"Wait for you" drummer

THE FIRM--RADIO ACTIVE Smile
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Chrissy wrote:
Just thought I would add two of my favorites:

Black and Blue-just listened to Miss Mystery this morning and one of my all time favorite bands

Tesla! In my opinion these guys never got the applause they deserved and album oafter album was always better than the last!

Say them once and they were amazing. They did a nod and sung "War Pigs" and it was soooo good.

Anyone else love these guys?

I love Tesla Chrissy..my ears are still ringing from FRANK HANNON'S Marshall stack...Don't ever go in the front row with out your ear plugs kiddies... Shocked

They have a new video go to their website.
http://www.teslatheband.com/home.aspx rock on Marty
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Yeah Marty!
I'm so glad I'm not alone on this.....
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Girl - Sheer Greed

The first album to feature future stars Phil Lewis & Phil Collen.

A good mixture of glam & sleaze with a smidgen of Reggae! Seriously!
This lot supported KISS on the 1980 UK tour and got slaughtered by the KISS fans! Which was a shame 'cos I liked them!! They went down so bad they didn't even play the last show of the tour! I also got to see them supporting UFO and I thought they were a good live band. But guys looking very feminine was not really the thing when they came out and they suffered because of it. They also admitted to being big Japan fans, never a bad thing in my eyes but not with most rock fans at the time.

That aside, this is a great album. From the opener 'Hollywood Tease' to the closer 'Heartbreak America' this is a fine album. As far as I know Girl were the first band to cover a KISS song on an album in the stupendous 'Do You Love Me'. And it is a great version.

Unfortunately they were ahead of thier time and after one more average album 'Wasted Youth' it was over.

Still we got Phil Lewis & Phil Collen out of them.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 pm

I remember seeing Girl at the old Marquee in Wardour Street, and would you belive that Marillion
were the support band !
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:05 am

Roger H wrote:
I remember seeing Girl at the old Marquee in Wardour Street, and would you belive that Marillion
were the support band !

Considering I can't stand Marillion I'm not surprised at all!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:15 am

Pete wrote:
Roger H wrote:
were the support band !

Hmm! I'm getting sloppy with my spelling, must reread before posting !
No, I'm not a big fan of theirs either but at the time I was interested because the
lead singer wore make-up ! And you should know how enticing that is ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:17 am

Roger H wrote:
Pete wrote:
Roger H wrote:
were the support band !

Hmm! I'm getting sloppy with my spelling, must reread before posting !
No, I'm not a big fan of theirs either but at the time I was interested because the
lead singer wore make-up ! And you should know how enticing that is ! Very Happy

Aaah. The 'old men in make up thing' as opposed to the Old men in make up thing! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:39 am

Roger H wrote:
were the support band !
Now there's a combination I certainly wouldn't have expected or put together. Glam/sleaze meets prog rock... Shocked

I hope Marillion got the the slating they deserve.

As you can probably tell...No, I ain't a fan either!
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 am

RFFB wrote:
Girl - Sheer Greed

The first album to feature future stars Phil Lewis & Phil Collen.

A good mixture of glam & sleaze with a smidgen of Reggae! Seriously!

Upscope would be interested in this.

'Scope
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 am

RFFB wrote:
I also got to see them supporting UFO and I thought they were a good live band. But guys looking very feminine was not really the thing when they came out and they suffered because of it.

So feminine was out at this time but cheering for 4 guys in full make-UP was ok??

'Scope
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:26 pm

'Scope wrote:
RFFB wrote:
I also got to see them supporting UFO and I thought they were a good live band. But guys looking very feminine was not really the thing when they came out and they suffered because of it.

So feminine was out at this time but cheering for 4 guys in full make-UP was ok??
'Scope
I know, strange ain't it!!! But it wasn't just the make-up...Girl weren't exactly 'manly' looking in general. I saw Japan support Blue Oyster Cult back in '78 and they were crucified also. Bands before their time.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:47 am

RFFB wrote:
I saw Japan support Blue Oyster Cult back in '78 and they were crucified also. Bands before their time.

There's a couple of gems there ! Japan's 1st 2 albums, Adolescent Sex and Obscure Alternatives are always on my play list.

But then they discovered synthesizers and lost the plot, Rolling Eyes for me anyway.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:26 am

Roger H wrote:
RFFB wrote:
I saw Japan support Blue Oyster Cult back in '78 and they were crucified also. Bands before their time.

There's a couple of gems there ! Japan's 1st 2 albums, Adolescent Sex and Obscure Alternatives are always on my play list.

But then they discovered synthesizers and lost the plot, Rolling Eyes for me anyway.
I agree, but my fav is 'Quite Life'.

There is something really special about that album...so atmospheric. Every track is gem!
Back to top Go down
kokeakola

kokeakola

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:31 am

I've got to put Warrant's latest "Born Again" (the one with Jaime St. James) in this category. I absolutely love this album! Tracks like "Dirty Jack", "Angels", "Rollercoaster", "Down In Diamonds"....it's just a great listen, and will probably be largely forgotten because of the whole bringing back Jani Lane fiasco. Any rock fan who doesn't have it, should check it out!
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 3:52 am

kokeakola wrote:
I've got to put Warrant's latest "Born Again" (the one with Jaime St. James) in this category. I absolutely love this album! Tracks like "Dirty Jack", "Angels", "Rollercoaster", "Down In Diamonds"....it's just a great listen, and will probably be largely forgotten because of the whole bringing back Jani Lane fiasco. Any rock fan who doesn't have it, should check it out!

"Angels" is an awesome track Mark.. rock on

Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies

Following Alice in Chains' extensive 1993 world tour, Staley said the band "just wanted to go into the studio for a few days with our acoustic guitars and see what happened"... "We never really planned on the music we made at that time to be released. But the record label heard it and they really liked it. For us, it was just the experience of four guys getting together in the studio and making some music."

"No Excuses" being my personal fave from the album.

cheers

Matty.. peace
Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 am

From the '70s so most of you won't remember !

The 1st 3 Be-Bop Deluxe albums---- Axe Victim, Futurama and Sunburst Finish
Also in Bill Nelson, a lost guitar tallent as he went on to give up playing the "axe" and
started noodling with synths and programmers making ambient albums and drifted into
obscurity. Shame No
Back to top Go down
laxcdn

laxcdn

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:52 am

EZO - Fire Fire
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 am

Matty35 wrote:
kokeakola wrote:

Following Alice in Chains' extensive 1993 world tour, Staley said the band "just wanted to go into the studio for a few days with our acoustic guitars and see what happened"... "We never really planned on the music we made at that time to be released. But the record label heard it and they really liked it. For us, it was just the experience of four guys getting together in the studio and making some music."

I can listen to that song over and over and never get tired of it...
That album is one of my favorites!!!

cheers

Matty.. peace
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:40 am

Chrissy wrote:
Matty35 wrote:
kokeakola wrote:

I can listen to that song over and over and never get tired of it...
That album is one of my favorites!!!

cheers

Matty.. peace

You really don't get this quoting thing do you love? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Gems!
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next