Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forgotten Gems!

Go down 
+7
Chrissy
'Scope
Roger. H
kokeakola
Pete
RFFB
Matty35
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 4:18 pm

List the albums you think have become "Forgotten Gems!"...

We can have this as a continuous / on going thread, posting one album at a time..

I'll start -

Hardline - Double Eclipse

The first track released from the album was "Takin' Me Down", written by the Gioeli brothers with Neal Schon. Although Grunge and Hip hop music were now keeping formerly commercial AOR, hard rock, and heavy metal bands in the lower reaches of the album charts—and preventing most from hitting the Hot 100 at all—the track entered Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart for four weeks, peaking at #37 in June 1992.

Journey guitarist Neal Schon joined the Gioeli brothers (Johnny and Joey) and toured for this album, which rocks a bit harder than most of his Journey and Bad English recordings.

Don't forget guys one album at a time, giving the chance for other people to post... bat

cheers

Matty.. thums up
Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 7:34 pm

One of my all time favs is the Schon/Hammer lp 'Here To Stay' - totally overlooked by, well, almost everybody!

It is simply brilliant. Not a bad song on it. If you ain't heard it kinda imagine HSAS 'Through The Fire' crossed with Journeys 'Frontiers' and you won't be too far off. Features Steve Perry as guest vocalist on one song also.

Beg, borrow or steal it...just don't steal it from me!... lol!

p.s. - this could turn into a Neal Schon fest!
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 7:16 am

RFFB wrote:
One of my all time favs is the Schon/Hammer lp 'Here To Stay' - totally overlooked by, well, almost everybody!

It is simply brilliant. Not a bad song on it. If you ain't heard it kinda imagine HSAS 'Through The Fire' crossed with Journeys 'Frontiers' and you won't be too far off. Features Steve Perry as guest vocalist on one song also.

Beg, borrow or steal it...just don't steal it from me!... lol!

p.s. - this could turn into a Neal Schon fest!

I know that album, & its fuggin cool..Im a big Schon fan!

Next -

Blue Murder - Self Titled

Released in 1989 & very Whitesnake "1987" sounding for obvious reasons, Blue Murder's founder member John Sykes (guitar) spent a handful of years in Whitesnake & recorded the "1987" album, Sykes was sacked from the band just before its release.

Personally i prefer this album to "1987" (only just though! cheesin' )

1."Riot"
2."Sex Child"
3."Valley of the Kings"
4."Jelly Roll"
5."Blue Murder"
6."Out of Love"
7."Billy"
8."Ptolemy"
9."Black Hearted Woman

Not a bum tune anywhere!!...Sykes is a monster!! rock on

cheers

Matty.. peace
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 1:38 am

Matty35 wrote:
List the albums you think have become "Forgotten Gems!"...

We can have this as a continuous / on going thread, posting one album at a time..

I'll start -

Hardline - Double Eclipse

The first track released from the album was "Takin' Me Down", written by the Gioeli brothers with Neal Schon. Although Grunge and Hip hop music were now keeping formerly commercial AOR, hard rock, and heavy metal bands in the lower reaches of the album charts—and preventing most from hitting the Hot 100 at all—the track entered Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart for four weeks, peaking at #37 in June 1992.

Journey guitarist Neal Schon joined the Gioeli brothers (Johnny and Joey) and toured for this album, which rocks a bit harder than most of his Journey and Bad English recordings.

Don't forget guys one album at a time, giving the chance for other people to post... bat

cheers

Matty.. thums up

Great album!!! Hot Cherie & Takin' me Down were always played in a rock club I used to go to. Brilliant songs... jocolor
Back to top Go down
kokeakola

kokeakola

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 5:53 am

Cinderella-Still Climbing..... An excellent album that came out at the height of Pearl Jam-mania. Tracks like "Easy Come, Easy Go", "Hard To Find The Words", "Blood From A Stone", and "Hot & Bothered" make this a must-have for rock n' rollers!! rock on
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 am

kokeakola wrote:
Cinderella-Still Climbing..... An excellent album that came out at the height of Pearl Jam-mania. Tracks like "Easy Come, Easy Go", "Hard To Find The Words", "Blood From A Stone", and "Hot & Bothered" make this a must-have for rock n' rollers!! rock on

Great record. cheer
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 am

Giant - Time To Burn

Time to Burn is the second studio album by Giant, released in 1992.

Vocalist/guitarist Dann Huff had proven his guitar-playing chops as a studio musician on hit albums and singles across the popular music spectrum throughout the 1980s before starting a band with brother David on drums, Mike Brignardello on bass and Alan Pasqua on keyboards and scoring a hit of their own with "I'll See You In My Dreams" in 1988. For the follow-up the band was joined in the writing process on two songs by Jim Vallance and on four by Van Stephenson, the latter of whom also guested on background vocals in the studio. Huff had previously done guitar work on Stephenson's solo albums. It was produced by Terry Thomas, a former member of the band Charlie who had previously produced albums for such rock notables as Bad Company and Foreigner.

Although well-reviewed, Time to Burn was among the last of its commercial AOR/melodic hard rock genre to be released by a major label—and not the label of their previous album—as record companies and media outlets stopped promoting '80s artists in favor of newer grunge music styles. The album's most successful single was "Chained", which peaked at #16 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, although second single "Stay" received some airplay as well.

"Thunder and Lightning" – 4:23
"Chained" – 7:19
"Lay It On the Line" – 5:22
"Stay" – 4:46
"Lost In Paradise" – 5:31
"Smoulder" (Instrumental) – 0:29
"Time to Burn" – 4:49
"I'll Be There (When It's Over)" – 4:29
"Save Me Tonight" – 6:00
"Without You" – 4:26
"Now Until Forever" – 5:44
"Get Used to It" – 4:50

Matty loves this Cd.. I love you rock band
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Must admit to never having heard of this lot ^^^^^^

But shall try and hunt it down!

I mentioned this above but I'm going to give it it's own naming!!

HSAS - Through The Fire

An incredible album. Was going to be a double set but the record company wasn't sure of the commercial value of doing so, as it was just a 'one time' band, and vetoed it. Barstewards!!

'Top Of The Rock' is just a stunning song and voices some great lyrics which I can well relate to!! Actually the whole album is stunning!! Some really heavy riffing from N Schon ('My Home Town'/'Hot n Dirty') and some more mellow but still rocking songs (Whiter Shade Of Pale/He Will Understand). The DVD of these gigs is well worth getting also as it has the unreleased songs which would have made up the double album.

Just pure, total CLASS.
Back to top Go down
kokeakola

kokeakola

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:49 pm

"Pissed" by Dangerous Toys. Got lost in the shuffle at the same time as the Cinderella disc I mentioned (1994). Just straight-up hard rock. "Screaming For More" is one of my favorite songs ever, and a power ballad called "Promise The Moon" smokes! "Hard Luck Champion" and "Strange" rock too!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:05 am

Firehouse - Firehouse & Hold Your fire.

First saw Firehouse in 1992 supporting Status Quo in Manchester. One of the best support acts I've ever seen. Went out and bought the above CD's straight away and loved them.

Great rock band (with a great name). Just wish they'd play the UK more often!
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:49 am

Pete wrote:

First saw Firehouse in 1992 supporting Status Quo in Manchester. One of the best support acts I've ever seen. Went out and bought the above CD's straight away and loved them.

Yep, good call Pete!!..Especially "Hold your fire".. rock on

Bill Leverty is a great shredder!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:06 am

Matty35 wrote:
Pete wrote:

Yep, good call Pete!!..Especially "Hold your fire".. rock on

Bill Leverty is a great shredder!
Funny thing is when you mentioned Giant - Time to burn I remembered I first heard of them & Firehouse on a free CD that came with a rock mag I'd bought. Remember hearing the track 'Hold Your Fire' and really digging it. After I'd seen them with Quo at the GMEX I bought both records straight away.

I also love the Acoustic CD too.
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:13 am

Im pretty sure i had that freebie too, but i think it was on cassette though.. scratch

The Title track is great (Firehouse) but my fave from that album is probably "Reach for the sky"..killer tune.. rock on

cheers

Matty.. thums up
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:14 am

Here's another couple of gems..

Vince Neil's Exposed and Motley Crue's Motley Crue.

Exposed is a great record and when I first heard it I wondered what the Crue would do without Vince as Exposed rocks. The I heard Motley Crue with the great (and totally underrated IMO) John Corabi singing and it blew me away. AWESOME record.

When I met John last may before the Ratt show in Nott's I told him how great it was and he seemed genuinly stoked.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:15 am

Matty35 wrote:
Im pretty sure i had that freebie too, but i think it was on cassette though.. scratch

The Title track is great (Firehouse) but my fave from that album is probably "Reach for the sky"..killer tune.. rock on

cheers

Matty.. thums up

Maybe it was on cassette? Who knows. It was over 10 years ago. I have trouble remembering yesterday!

Reach for the Sky is a Killer tune!
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:22 am

Vain - No Respect

Vain formed in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1986, at the last wave of the Glam Metal era, and in a time when the city's main musical export was thrash metal slowly changing to Punk. The band were formed by vocalist Davy Vain, and were signed to Island Records in 1989 upon the release of their debut album No Respect that same year. The band also embarked on a European Tour in support of Skid Row.

I bought this Cd with Skid Row's 1st album one Saturday afternoon in late 89, man did i have air guitar weekend!!! rock on
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:31 am

Matty35 wrote:
Vain - No Respect

Vain formed in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1986, at the last wave of the Glam Metal era, and in a time when the city's main musical export was thrash metal slowly changing to Punk. The band were formed by vocalist Davy Vain, and were signed to Island Records in 1989 upon the release of their debut album No Respect that same year. The band also embarked on a European Tour in support of Skid Row.

I bought this Cd with Skid Row's 1st album one Saturday afternoon in late 89, man did i have air guitar weekend!!! rock on

I bet you had head and neck ache too!!

Brilliant CD - No Respect.
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 6:09 am

Don Dokken - Up From The Ashes

Up from the Ashes is a 1990 hard rock album by Don Dokken (Singer of his original band Dokken). The sound of the album was similar to Dokken's work with his former band and displays great growth in Dokken's writing since the former band's demise, but it did not sell as well. It reached the Top 50 on the Billboard 200 album chart in the US. The line-up for this album consisted in Don Dokken (vocals), John Norum (guitar and formerly of Europe), Billy White (guitar), Peter Baltes (bass and formerly of Accept), and Mikkey Dee (drums, formerly of King Diamond and Motörhead). The music videos for the songs "Stay" and "Mirror Mirror" received airplay on MTV's Headbanger's Ball.

Crash 'N Burn (Billy White/Don Dokken) - 5:30
1000 Miles Away (D. Dokken/John Norum) - 5:00
When Some Nights (B. White/J. Norum/D. Dokken) - 4:27
Forever (D. Dokken/Wyn Davis) - 5:16
Living a Lie (J. Norum/D. Dokken) - 4:38
When Love Finds a Fool (D. Dokken/Glenn Hughes) - 5:34
Give It Up (D. Dokken/B. White) - 4:11
Mirror Mirror (D. Dokken/B. White/Marcus Spiro) - 4:36
Stay (D. Dokken/Mick Brown) - 4:28
Down in Flames (D. Dokken/B. White) - 5:11
The Hunger (D. Dokken/B. White) - 5:03

In a nutshell - "Awesome!, just buy it".. thums up
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 6:46 am

Matty35 wrote:
Vain - No Respect

Yeah, love this album. Killer tunes with a great RnR singer. Still play this alot. Great music to put on when you're goin out...gets you right in the mood!!!
Back to top Go down
kokeakola

kokeakola

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 8:01 am

Bulletboys-"Zaza".....came out in 1993. Great album! "When Pigs Fly", "Sing A Song", "Mine", "1-800-Goodbye", "For The Damned", and my favorite "Laughing With The Dead" make this a killer disc!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 4:52 pm

OK...here's one...

GIUFFRIA...the self titled debut album!

What an album. Pomp/AOR/Glam...whatever you wanna call it, it is a magnificent album. Great guitar from Craig Goldy and full of swirling, atmospheric keyboards from Mr Giuffria himself. Hell, this album had an almost perfect sound!!! And in David Glen Eisley a singer who could sing and had grit in his voice as well as emotion. I'm playin it now as I type this and I'd even forgot just how good it is!!! 'Call To The Heart' is as good as any Journey song. The more rocky songs in 'Do Me Right', 'Don't Tear Me Down', 'Trouble Again', 'Line Of Fire' etc were made to be true stadium rockers. Melodic rock doesn't come much better than this. And let's not forget the master-piece that is 'Out Of The Blue', with it's prelude 'The Awakening' that is so creepy and atmospheric that an ex-girlfriend wouldn't let me play this song with the lights out!!!!! "Wake up, it's just a dream. A scary...little...dream" followed by a childrens choir that really is disturbing!!!! Would grace any horror movie!!! Segues into 'Out Of The Blue' and you seriously MUST hear this song before you die!!! A really restrainted piece of majestic rock if ever I heard one, yet powerful.

I had high hopes for this lot and hoped they might even get to the UK, so I could actually meet an ex-Angel ( I love you Angel) in Gregg, but alas the second album 'Silk And Steel' was pants and it fell apart. But at least they gave us this classic bit of rock... Very Happy

This ain't 'pop-tastic'...it's 'pomp-tastic!!'
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 pm

NEW ENGLAND--------S/T

Produced by Paul Stanley and had a great single lifted from it," Puny Under nourished Kid" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:03 am

Roger H wrote:
NEW ENGLAND--------S/T

Produced by Paul Stanley and had a great single lifted from it," Puny Under nourished Kid" Very Happy
clap clap clap clap clap
Great choice!
After years of not being able to listen to it (record player stolen) I got it on CD from ebay (KIUK member selling it pretty cheaply!) on Jap import!!!! What an album!

Another very 'pomp-tastic!' album. 'Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya'...class, class, CLASS.

You must hear this album also!!! But avoid anything else by them! Another band that had great promise but didn't deliver with the follow up...

Still applauding your choice, Roger!!
clap clap clap clap clap
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:23 am

RFFB wrote:
Roger H wrote:
NEW ENGLAND--------S/T

clap clap clap clap clap
Great choice!
After years of not being able to listen to it (record player stolen) I got it on CD from ebay (KIUK member selling it pretty cheaply!) on Jap import!!!! What an album!

Another very 'pomp-tastic!' album. 'Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya'...class, class, CLASS.

You must hear this album also!!! But avoid anything else by them! Another band that had great promise but didn't deliver with the follow up...

clap clap clap clap clap

I've got the 2 follow up albums (at least I think they are ) "Walking Wild " and " Explorer Suite". Any others ?
They're are not bad but not a patch on the debut. BTW, I still have a turntable and all these are on vinyl. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:36 am

Roger H wrote:
RFFB wrote:
Roger H wrote:
NEW ENGLAND--------S/T

clap clap clap clap clap
Great choice!

clap clap clap clap clap

I've got the 2 follow up albums (at least I think they are ) "Walking Wild " and " Explorer Suite". Any others ?
They're are not bad but not a patch on the debut. BTW, I still have a turntable and all these are on vinyl. Very Happy
Actually, yeah...that was a bit harsh of me! Especially as I haven't heard them since they came out!... Shocked
I just remember not being impressed and selling them a 2nd hand record shop in Newcastle.

Thanks for that!!... Laughing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Forgotten Gems! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Gems!   Forgotten Gems! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Gems!
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next