Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica Empty
PostSubject: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 7:32 am

From Classicrockmagazine.com

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/jason-newstead-confirmed-to-perform-with-metallica/

Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett has confirmed that the band’s former bassist Jason Newsted will rejoin Metallica on stage for the first time since he quit in 2000 at the band’s next Saturday’s Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Fame induction.

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Hammett confirmed: “Jason Newsted will be there, and he will be playing with us at one point. We went as a band when Black Sabbath was being inducted, and at that time Blondie was also being inducted that night and there was so many politics and so much drama that, you know, we collectively said to each other, ‘We don’t want any of that,’ because it kind of, it puts a really bad, sour note on the whole celebration itself.”

Metallica recently announced their new single will feature b-sides from recent UK shows, while it has also been announced that Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers will be inducting the band into the Rock N’ Roll hall Of Fame.

Sonisphere will take place on August 1st - 2nd at Knebworth. Metallica and Linkin Park will headline on a bill that will also feature Nine Inch Nails, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Machine Head, Anthrax, Airbourne, Lamb Of God, Alice In Chains, Mastodon, Thin Lizzy, Killing Joke and The Sword.
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 am

Very nice! Glad to see them have some class and do this right......

I think it was in this same article that James also said while they are honored to be in the Hall of Fame there are so many of their idols that haven't been recognized yet...Kiss being one of them...
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 7:59 am

Chrissy wrote:
Very nice! Glad to see them have some class and do this right......

I think it was in this same article that James also said while they are honored to be in the Hall of Fame there are so many of their idols that haven't been recognized yet...Kiss being one of them...

Who is this James you speak of? scratch lol!
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:03 am

Can't believe it's been 9 years since he left! Shocked

Thanks for the heads up Wink
Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
RAZOR777

RAZOR777

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm glad they're doing that (having him there). It's definitely a show of class. I still dig Metallica.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 2:24 am

From Sleazeroxx.com

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news09/0405met.shtml

METALLICA INDUCTED INTO ROCK HALL OF FAME:

April 5, 2009

Tom Withers of Billboard reports that Metallica shoved the mosh pit into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Heavy metal's heaviest hitters, whose menacing, monstrous sound has banged heads around the globe for decades, were inducted into rock's shrine on Saturday night, capping a star-studded ceremony that felt much more like a concert than an awards show.

For the first time, the no-holds-barred show, back in Cleveland following a 12-year holdover in New York's Waldorf-Astoria ballroom, was open to the public.

And nearly 5,000 fans partied in the balconies inside renovated Public Auditorium as 1,200 VIPs dined below at tables costing as much $50,000 each.

Many of the came to pay homage to Metallica, which earned top billing in an eclectic 2009 class that included rap pioneers Run-DMC, virtuoso guitarist Jeff Beck, soul singer Bobby Womack and rhythm and blues vocal group Little Anthony and the Imperials.

Metallica's members have survived some of the dark themes -- death, destruction and desolation -- that threads through its music, and their induction was a chance to celebrate their legacy as perhaps the hardest band to ever walk the earth. The event also served as a reunion as bassist Jason Newsted, who left the group in 2001, joined his former bandmates on stage for seering versions of "Master of Puppets" and "Enter Sandman."

"Whatever the intangibles elements are that make a band the best, Metallica has them," said Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, who delivered a heartfelt speech in presenting the band. He recalled being on tour and hearing Metallica on the radio for the first time.

"My mind was blown. It wasn't punk rock. It wasn't heavy metal. It just stood by itself," he said. "I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was a mighty thing."

In accepting their awards, Metallica's members were joined by Ray Burton, the father of original bassist Cliff Burton, who died tragically in 1986 when the band's tour bus skidded off an icy road in Sweden.

"Dream big and dare to fail, because this is living proof that it is possible to make a dream come true," said frontman-guitaristr James Hetfield, who then rattled off a long list of hard-rocking bands he feels deserve induction.

"Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden, Motorhead. We'd like to invite them through the door," said Hetfield, who concluded his remarks by wrapping Ulrich in a bear hug.

The evening ended with a jam for the ages as Metallica, Beck, Jimmy Page, Aerosmith's Joe Tyler and Flea brought the house down with a performance of the Yardbirds' "Train Kept A Rollin."

A guitar virtuoso, Beck, who was previously inducted in 1992 with the Yardbirds, was put in for his solo work. Although best known for his rock accomplishments, Beck's career has wandered a fretboard of genres ranging from blues to jazz to electronica.

"Jeff's style is totally unorthodox to the way anyone was taught," said Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, who presented his longtime friend. "He keeps getting better and better and better."

Beck, wearing all white, was joined on stage by Page, a fellow guitar god, who played bass during a searing rendition of Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song."

With two turntables and a microphone, Run-DMC broke down the barriers between rock and rap. With sparse, stripped-down lyrics above pounding beats, the trio of Joseph "DJ Run" Simmons, Darryl "D.M.C." McDaniels and Jason "Jam Master Jay" Mizell changed rap in the 1980s by taking the realities of the streets to the suburbs.

"They broke away from the pack by being the pack," said rapper Eminem, looking like the band's lost member by sporting the group's trademark black fedora and black leather jacket. "They were the baddest of the bad and the coolest of the cool. Run-DMC changed my life."

"There's three of them and if you grew up with hip hop like I did, they were the Beatles."

Their remake and collaboration with Aerosmith on the rock band's "Walk This Way" changed modern music.

"We were young guys with a new music that people thought was a fad, but we knew the culture was a way of life and we just lived it," McDaniels said. "The music that we made then didn't just impact friends, it impacted a generation. So I guess that's what rock and roll does."

Any chance of a Run reunion ended with Mizell's death in 2002, when he was shot to death outside his studio. His murder remains unsolved.

Mizell's mother, Connie, accepted the award on his behalf.

"My baby is still doing it for me," she said.

Simmons cited "so many smart people and so much help" several times during his speech. He also thanked Mrs. Mizell, who allowed the group to set up their equipment in her Hollis, Queens, living room.

"She never told us to turn the music down once," Simmons said, turning to his late friend's mom. "I'd like to thank you for that."

Cleveland's Womack, the son of a steelworker, is best known for his soulful voice, but he had far greater musical range as a talented songwriter and guitarist.

He also branched into gospel, returning to the roots that got him his start with a family group, the Valentinos. He later played guitar for Sam Cooke.

Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones introduced Womack as "the voice that has always killed me. He brings me to tears." Wood then recalled a night in New York when he and Womack hid as some Hells Angels gang members were roughing up Wilson Pickett.

Little Anthony and the Imperials, who began their career singing on street corners in Brooklyn, N.Y., opened the program with a gorgeous medley of hits "Tears on My Pillow," "Hurt So Bad," and "I'm Alright." Many in the crowd mouthed the familiar tracks as lead singer Anthony "Little Anthony" Gourdine's falsetto filled the room.

Longtime friend Smokey Robinson presented the doo-wop group, calling their induction "long overdue."

Gourdine thanked his music teacher, "wherever you are" during his induction speech.

"We've been in this now for 50 years, and when we were kids we never imagined in our wildest dreams we'd ever be here," he said. "Now that it's here, the one thing we can look at and say is nobody can ever take this away from us."

Dubbed the "Sweet Lady with the Nasty Voice," the 71-year-old Jackson got her start as a country singer. She was a flamboyant dresser, and her choice of skirts and high heels rankled some hardcore fans. It was Elvis Presley, whom she toured with the 1950s, who persuaded her to sing rock songs.

"She could really rock and still kept her femininity intact," said presenter Roseanne Cash. "She's the prototype for so many of us."

Drummer DJ Fontana and the late bassist Bill Black -- both of Elvis Presley's backup band -- and keyboardist Spooner Oldham made it in the sidemen category.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am

TBH I can't stand all this 'Hall Of Fame' crap.

Sycophantic, self ingratiating nonsence.

Since when was RnR about acceptance by establishment?

But still good of them to get Jason along... :clapping:
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:15 am

RFFB wrote:
TBH I can't stand all this 'Hall Of Fame' crap.

Sycophantic, self ingratiating nonsence.

Since when was RnR about acceptance by establishment?

But still good of them to get Jason along... :clapping:

Totally agree with you sir!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica   Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jason Newsted Confirmed To Perform With Metallica
Page 1 of 1