Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Avengers...

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:17 am

...better be bloody good to beat this!!!

This looks absolutley fantastic!!!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 2:08 pm

About the only D.C character to come close to the excellence of Marvel.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:52 am

Is it May yet !!???? bounce bounce

Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am

Roger. H wrote:
Is it May yet !!???? bounce bounce

It's out April 27... Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 am

Ooooooooo, Birthday treat !!! :dance baby: :dance baby:
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 am

Ohhh Man !!!!! And I just put these pants on clean !! Embarassed Embarassed

Is it April yet !!!!!!!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 am

Roger. H wrote:
Ohhh Man !!!!! And I just put these pants on clean !! Embarassed Embarassed

Is it April yet !!!!!!!!! bounce

Why's it called Avengers Assemble in the UK? Stupid name!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 am

No it's not !!! Brilliant title !! That's their Battle cry !!!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:21 am

Roger. H wrote:
No it's not !!! Brilliant title !! That's their Battle cry !!!

It sounds GAY!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 am

Oh go play with your Lego ! silly
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 am

Roger. H wrote:
Oh go play with your Lego ! silly

I will. At least that doesn't have a gay name.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:14 am

Two weeks to go...
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 am

Pete wrote:
Two weeks to go...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I know !!! bouncy boy1
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 am

Roger. H wrote:
Pete wrote:
Two weeks to go...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I know !!! bouncy boy1

I have enough points on my Odeon card to pay for premium seats to see this. cheesin'
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:14 am

Avengers Review...

12A | 143 minutes
Release Date: 27 April 2012
Distributor: Walt Disney
Director: Joss Whedon
Cast: Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johannson, Samuel L Jackson

By royal decree we Brits are supposed to refer to this, in full, as Marvel Avengers Assemble. It’s an ugly rechristening, of course, but in a way it’s utterly apt. The word “assemble” reeks of the unique pain of flatpack furniture, gazing blank-eyed at brain-melting diagrams of nuts, screws and neat chunks of plywood converging in some impossible pan-dimensional ballet on the page.

Joss Whedon is the man who’s been handed the screwdriver, Allen key and infinite amounts of tea and patience, tasked with bolting together countless separate pieces of the Marvel universe into a functional cinematic whole. Does the finished product wobble slightly, sit not entirely flush? You bet, and small wonder, too.

It’s an insanely ambitious ask for anyone, let alone a director with only one true big-screen credit to their name. Whedon not only needs to deliver a profoundly bed-quaking climax to years of tease and foreplay. He must also juggle four big-gun superhero icons, and fuse together the disparate DNA of their worlds: noble-eyed ‘40s heroism, mythic wizardry, weaponised techno-cool and big, green smashy-smashy stuff. It’s an inescapably jarring clash of tones. At one point a Norse trickster god rides in a military jeep, strafed by machine gun fire, and it feels like The Lord Of The Rings crashing brutally and inexplicably into 24.

Whedon’s A-game has always been powered by a smart mouth and a gift for ensemble writing, and those are the best muscles on display here. The movie’s true energy is a relentlessly catty wit, deployed as an endless hail of snark-grenades: Iron Man refers to the freshly defrosted Captain America as a “Capsicle”, while Loki’s Asgardian pageantry is coolly dismissed as “Reindeer Games.” You also sense Whedon the linguist’s mischievous smirk as he smuggles the phrase “mewling quim” into mainstream blockbuster cinema. And top marks for that.

Miraculously, the movie feels equally shared between its superpowered pantheon – though some Avengers are rather more equal than others. Robert Downey Jr steals scenes with the insouciance of a man trousering a Rolex at Tiffany’s, especially relishing some screwball byplay with Gwyneth Paltrow’s Pepper Potts. Chris Evans has rather less fun, dignity visibly wilting in a shockingly misjudged costume, but he maintains Cap’s winning, Jimmy Stewart-on-steroids appeal. Elsewhere, Chris Hemsworth’s Thor appears to have misplaced the easy, boyish charm of his own movie but has sufficient golden-maned charisma to hold his own.

Two Avengers feel shortchanged in the leap from page to screen: Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye is an inscrutable blank with none of the impetuous fire of his comic strip counterpart, while Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow, though she may boast Buffy-style self-possession and aptitude for ass-kickery, remains as convincingly Russian as the Fourth of July.

The Hulk is better served. As the new screen incarnation of Bruce Banner, Mark Ruffalo brings a soft, sweet weirdness that barely masks a broiling anger (“I’m exposed, like a nerve. It’s a nightmare.”). His first shirt-shredding Hulk-out is genuinely unnerving – for once the Hulk’s eyes are Banner’s eyes, and just for a moment there’s a rending flash of vulnerability there. Once in green, tattered-trouser mode, the Hulk moves with a loping hint of Kong and soon earns the biggest laughs in the film.

Whedon plays his character cards well, revelling in the interplay of these icons and adding an intriguingly adult layer of ethical complexity to the Marvel universe as SHIELD’s agenda takes a turn for the shadowy. He’s an actor’s director, too, coaxing strong performances from his sprawling cast. Tom Hiddleston’s Loki is a finely played antagonist, all psychological game-play and sickly smile.

But if Avengers Assemble showcases Whedon’s strengths it also exposes his weak spots. An early smackdown between Thor and Iron Man feels curiously low-key, betraying Whedon’s small-screen roots. It’s not short on the eye-smacking visuals – a sequence where the SHIELD heli-carrier rises from cascading waves is majestic – but too much here feels pinched and boxy, too tightly framed and televisual, lacking true widescreen wow.

A final reel assault on Manhattan adds some much needed spectacle (all ash, rubble and scream of emergency sirens, it’s a clear nod to 9/11 and Millar and Hitch’s The Ultimates, an obvious creative inspiration). But this sequence exposes the deepest faultline in the film: the alien villains are faceless armoured goons, a strikeforce of anonymous cannon fodder. There’s no insight into their motives, their culture, their plotting. Why are they here, other than to have their extra-terrestrial asses handed to them on six superpowered plates?

Avengers Assemble motors on quips and star charm and the primal Top Trumps thrill of assembling its protagonists. But beyond an intriguing experiment in franchise-mashing there’s no compelling reason for it to exist, no burning tale it needs to tell. It’s simply a slick delivery system for satisfying years of fanboy longing. As the plot pivots on the Asgardian Tesseract – “a source of unlimited sustainable energy” – so the film’s essential power source is the phrase “Wouldn’t it be cool if…?”

And, ultimately, that’s unsustainable.

Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:35 am

Going to see this in Weymouth on Saturday and, as I've got the week off next week, will venture into London and get to the Imax. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:38 am

Roger. H wrote:
Going to see this in Weymouth on Saturday and, as I've got the week off next week, will venture into London and get to the Imax. Very Happy

Hmmm...Probably go to the Trafford Centre on Saturday night and see it then.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 am

Pete wrote:

This should read...... The Dark Knight Rises had better be bloody good to get anywhere near the excellence of Avengers Assemble.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 1:09 am

Roger. H wrote:
Pete wrote:

This should read...... The Dark Knight Rises had better be bloody good to get anywhere near the excellence of Avengers Assemble.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:17 am

Roger. H wrote:
Pete wrote:

I think it'll do ok... Wink

Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:31 am

scratch "An Epic Conclusion" ?? Is this the last Batman movie then ?? scratch
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:37 am

Roger. H wrote:

Last one by Chris Nolan. I'm sure it'll be rebooted in a few years time.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:07 am

Pete wrote:
Roger. H wrote:

Last one by Chris Nolan. I'm sure it'll be rebooted in a few years time.... Rolling Eyes

Oh, I see. I hope there is another one (with a decent director). I've enjoyed the Dark Knight series so far.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:09 am

Roger. H wrote:
Pete wrote:
Roger. H wrote:

Oh, I see. I hope there is another one (with a decent director). I've enjoyed the Dark Knight series so far.

I'm sure Warner/DC etc want to milk the cow for as long as they can. At least with this one you (hopefully!!) won't want to forget about it a'la Batman & Robin... affraid
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:13 am

Isn't it funny that an Avengers game is being advertised at the top of this thread. Rolling Eyes Big Brother is still watching us !! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Avengers... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Avengers...   The Avengers... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Avengers...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Full Metal Forum :: The Topics :: Anything Goes / Whats On Your Mind-
Jump to: