Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paul Stanley Interview...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Paul Stanley Interview... Empty
PostSubject: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 3:58 am

Quote :
Paul Stanley talks about the new KISS tour, the next album, his former band members, Eric Carr and "KISSOLOGY IV He also shares his thoughts on his solo albums and his surprising vision on the future of KISS.
When concert venues began announcing their summer lineups earlier this year, one band that appeared on some of those lists was a pleasant surprise, particularly to its self-proclaimed "Army" of fans. KISS, which had toured throughout much of 2009-2010 and is in the midst of recording a new album, wasn't expected to be on the road this year. And yet on the road they are, including a stop at the Mt. Laurel Pocono Mountains Performing Arts Center on Wednesday, July 13.

KISS co-founder Paul Stanley, in an interview with the Weekender, says that at one point the band had conducted an online poll asking its fans where they'd like to see a show. And while it wasn't always possible for the group to get to some of those places on the 2009-2010 tours, some of the stops on this summer's road jaunt are now indeed in those regions.

"There were cities that we just didn't get to, and we felt an obligation to go there," says Stanley. "Quite a few of the cities we're hitting are not your major cities, but were cities we felt we owed a show."

Stanley says this is not the first time that KISS has briefly halted the recording of an album to return to the road. He says the band did the same thing circa 1975-76 while working on its classic "Destroyer" album. "We did 'Destroyer' in two segments," he says. "We recorded quite a bit of it and took a break. We were still touring on 'Alive' and then we went back and finished the album. Not to draw any parallels, but we have done it before."

Some KISS albums are viewed as sister-albums to one another in that they're similar in songwriting style and production. ("Rock and Roll Over" and "Love Gun," "Dynasty and Unmasked" and "Animalize" and "Asylum.") Stanley says the new KISS album, which will be released in 2012, is in some ways a continuation of 2009's "Sonic Boom," as it will be the second studio recording featuring the lineup of Stanley, bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons, guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer. This time, however, he says the band is on more solid footing.

"'Sonic Boom' was us coming to terms and exploring who we are today as a band," he says. "Everything we do is based on our past, and it was really time to see how that would manifest itself in the studio. We're proud of whom we've been and who we are, but it was a matter of, 'OK. How does that translate to new songs? How does that translate to the sound and the vibe?' 'Sonic Boom' was us, in a sense, on a path of discovery. This next album is not that, in a sense that we're very clear and very sure of who we are."

Five years ago, Stanley appeared to be equally self-assured when he released his second solo album, "Live To Win." And though it was a strong collection of melodic hard-rock and featured some of the best songs he'd ever written, Stanley says he has no plans to record another. He says that because of the great musical synergy found within the current lineup of KISS, he couldn't imagine holding back quality songs for a solo effort rather than contributing them to a KISS album.

"I was determined to explore some other paths and do things musically and sonically that I wouldn't do in KISS," he says. "That's really what the purpose of 'Live To Win' was - for me to stretch out and indulge myself. You have to remember that album came before 'Sonic Boom,' and I didn't want to get caught in the trap of making a one-man KISS album, because I've done that before. There had been some KISS albums that were basically me filling in the blanks (for other people's absence). But the chemistry of what's going on in the band is so far beyond that, in terms of the pleasantness and the creativity, that there's really no need at this point to do solo albums. We enjoy each other's company."

Stanley adds that at a recent sound check before a show, the band tore through songs such as "Watchin' You," "She," "Makin' Love" and "Got To Choose" - all tunes that aren't even being played on the current tour. Such camaraderie and energy, he says, has carried itself into the sessions for the new album.

"The band is at a peak," he says. "And the basic mantra of doing KISS albums now is really that we're all in it together."

Though some KISS fans may have been surprised when Stanley and Simmons decided to continue on with KISS following the band's "Farewell Tour" more than a decade ago, that sense of surprise has long since passed. In fact, the current lineup has now been together for more than seven years. And while Simmons has initially said that former members Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were always welcome to return, Stanley says that is no longer the case.

"Honestly, that door is long closed," he says. "All I can say is the band couldn't exist today without them having been in it, and the band couldn't exist today with them in it. It works both ways. The shows we're doing, the album we made, and the new album is only the work of the four of us, and the commitment we have and the fun we have. This is such a pleasure."

Still, Stanley says he wishes his former bandmates well. He is asked whether the deaths of former KISS members Eric Carr (1991) and Mark. St. John (2007), as well as Peter Criss' more recent cancer scare has caused him to take stock in such old friendships.

"Illness is never to be taken lightly," he says. "I wish everybody good health and long life. The one that was shattering was Eric Carr. That was so close to me. I had never lost anybody before. It was pretty emotional, shocking and devastating."

Looking ahead, Stanley says work has begun on "KISSOLOGY IV," the fourth in a series of DVDs that chronicle KISS' history. It will include live footage of the band's 2009 show at Cobo Hall in Detroit as well as classic footage from the KISS vaults. He agrees when it is suggested that chronology is no longer necessary for the series, and that should items missing from the first three discs be discovered - such as pro-shot shows from the "Lick It Up" and "Asylum" tours - they should be included.

"We're reached a point where we've really brought everybody up to date," he says. "Now, let's just unearth all of the nuggets."

Another recent development in the KISS camp is speculation - sometimes fueled by Stanley and Simmons - that KISS will someday carry on without them. It would seem that - as long as it wasn't actually called "KISS" - an "officially sanctioned" KISS tribute show in which Stanley and Simmons were involved behind the scenes and made sure the production was up to KISS' standards might someday be accepted by fans. Stanley, however, disagrees. He says he can "totally" see KISS going on without him and that he "believes it more now than ever." He affirms that such a band can and will still be called KISS.

"It's KISS now," he says. "And KISS today is not KISS of 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, or 30 years ago. I stand by the idea that KISS is a way of delivering a great show. It's a state of mind. It's a lifestyle. And it's more than any group of individuals."

Stanley is asked if he's actually not selling himself way short. He and Simmons have remained constants in the KISS lineup, are master showmen, and have always written most of the band's songs. And for a time in the '80s, while Simmons explored a film carrier, it seemed that Stanley carried the band.

"I don't sell myself short at all," he says. "I'm pretty damn terrific at what I do, but I also I don't believe that I'm the only person that can do this. I'm not talking about getting an impersonator. I love the KISS tribute bands, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone that has the same heart and soul in what they're dong that I do, and it doesn't mean mimicking. It means following a tradition and a path. Everybody in the band today is aware of their roots and how this band evolved. Somebody coming in to put on my boots would be the same. I think that any skepticism would go right out the window when somebody would see that band, because I'm not irreplaceable. I can't be replaced with a clone of me, but somebody else could certainly come in and 'wow' people.

"I'm not saying anything called KISS wouldn't have me behind it," he adds. "If and when that time comes, I'm not saying, 'Nice to know ya. Good luck with the band,' This is my baby. But once again, I'm very clear that the band can thrive without me. In the past, people said 'You can't go on without the original guys.' Nonsense. The the truth is, when somebody's heart and soul is no longer into being in this band, they're the impostors, not the people coming after them."

Today, Stanley's heart and soul remain with KISS, though his time is also dedicated to his growing family. He and his wife are expecting their third child next month and has also has a son from a previous marriage. He says the arrival of the new baby is one of the reasons this summer's tour will be a short one, but he adds that some things on the road feel the same as always. With a catalog of music dating back 37 years, he admits putting the set list together to accompany KISS' dazzling stage show can be a challenge.

"We're kind of between a rock and a hard place," he says. "Do we pepper the show with obscure songs to please a handful of rabid fans, or do you do a set list that pleases thousands? Clearly, we're going the route to please the masses. If somebody doesn't get to hear 'Two Timer' there's a reason. Because if we put in 'Two Timer' we might have to take out 'Shout It Out Loud.'"

Stanley says that, for a road veteran like himself, he's enjoyed playing in towns and at venues that are new to the band.

"So far, five shows in, and five of the places, I've never been to," he says. "It's surprising. This is the tour that we spoke about. We're going to a lot of places that wanted us to come, and we said we would, and we are."
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 5:57 am

Actually not a bad interview tho I still think KISS without him or moneybags is a stupid idea.

And I still stand my assertion that if they can play songs for the masses would another 5 mins onstage to play one song for the 'rabid' fans really kill them?

Pick 4/5 songs not usually played, or rarely, and alternate them over the shows. Would make it more interesting for those who do multiple shows, I'm sure it would be a little more intersting for the band and the rabid fans get a treat.

Is that really so hard to do, or to much too ask?
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:16 am

RFFB wrote:
Actually not a bad interview tho I still think KISS without him or moneybags is a stupid idea.

And I still stand my assertion that if they can play songs for the masses would another 5 mins onstage to play one song for the 'rabid' fans really kill them?

Pick 4/5 songs not usually played, or rarely, and alternate them over the shows. Would make it more interesting for those who do multiple shows, I'm sure it would be a little more intersting for the band and the rabid fans get a treat.

I have no interest in Kiss 2.0. or whatever they are called. Once Paul & Gene retire that's it for me. I live on my memories, CD's & DVD's thank you.
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:05 am

RFFB wrote:

pretty much what I was thinking as I read that...I don't like how he disses his "rabid" fans...He doesn't seem to grasp that his rabid fans are what made the band who they are today. And I agree one extra song a show for them would be really nice....

Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 am

I'd love them to take out Shout it out loud!!!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Pete wrote:

I have no interest in Kiss 2.0. or whatever they are called. Once Paul & Gene retire that's it for me. I live on my memories, CD's & DVD's thank you.

I would much rather go to see a "KISS" show with all the theatrics, financial backing and expertise of Simmons and Stanley behind it than watch some cashstrapped tribute band in tatty costumes down the local pub.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 am

Roger. H wrote:
Pete wrote:

I would much rather go to see a "KISS" show with all the theatrics, financial backing and expertise of Simmons and Stanley behind it than watch some cashstrapped tribute band in tatty costumes down the local pub.

When you put it that way....

nah... I'm still done.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Gotta say I agree with Pissy Hair!...sorry, I mean Pete!

Even an officially sanctioned tribute KISS has no interest for me what-so-ever. Honestly, I don't even really understand the appeal of tribute bands anyway. A guy at work was saying he prefers to go see tributes cos its so much cheaper.

Just doesn't make any sense to me. You aren't seeing the real band and if it 'cheapness' you want, then just listen to the record!

Gotta be one of the dumbest ideas they've come up with... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 2:19 am

RFFB wrote:

It's the piss thats allowed me to have such luxurious hair... Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 am

Looks like I'm on my own with this one then. Which is surprising because I was really against Eric and Tommy wearing Ace & Peter's make-up at first, but over time and seeing them in action I've accepted it and embraced them. So I can't see any difference when either Gene or Paul go. If you took the stance that " I'm not going to follow that band anymore because an original member has left " you wouldn't have many bands left to follow.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 4:21 am

Roger. H wrote:
Looks like I'm on my own with this one then. Which is surprising because I was really against Eric and Tommy wearing Ace & Peter's make-up at first, but over time and seeing them in action I've accepted it and embraced them. So I can't see any difference when either Gene or Paul go. If you took the stance that " I'm not going to follow that band anymore because an original member has left " you wouldn't have many bands left to follow.

My own personal opinion...

The lineup has been so diluted over the years that replacing Ace & Peter with Tommy & Eric in their respective make ups never really bothered me. Not like some on other forums... Wink

I just don't see how you can have a Paul Stanley Interview... Kisslogo without Paul or Gene...

Still we're all old enough to respect each others opinions & I'm far to old to argue about trivial stuff like this!!!

I'm sure if there is a Paul Stanley Interview... Kisslogo 2.0 and they play somewhere in the UK I'll go see them just for the novelty value & intrigue...hell I'll probably enjoy it!!!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:01 am

Roger. H wrote:
TBH, I'm still against the Eric/Tommy wearing the make-up, but at the end of the day it isn't going to kill me. I know Gene n Paul own the make up now and can what they want with it, but it just seems disrespectful to me...being the old fart that I am!!!!

Some members of bands are more than 'just' members. The Stones with Mick or Keef? AC/DC without Angus? Just doesn't work...
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 am

Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:

It's the piss thats allowed me to have such luxurious hair... Wink Very Happy
Wonder if our resisdent hairdresser knows about this cheap and abundant product???
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:38 am

Must be a UK thing....

California is a fairly live clean kind of place..so that just seems gross.....

but hey people in california do buy virginal pee from nuns and inject it to loose weight...
Everyone is gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:43 am

Chrissy wrote:
Must be a UK thing....

California is a fairly live clean kind of place..so that just seems gross.....

but hey people in california do buy virginal pee from nuns and inject it to loose weight...
Everyone is gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!! What Roger & Adam are failing to mention is thatI washed my hands first before running them through my hair! I'm not an animal you know!!!

Inject pee to lose weight? How does that work then? scratch
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:57 am

I have no idea that is supposed to work!!!
not only are people gross but they are nuts too!!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 8:00 am

Chrissy wrote:
I have no idea that is supposed to work!!!
not only are people gross but they are nuts too!!

Agreed!! People are indeed strange....and there's a song in that!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 5:55 am

Interview with Mr Singer...

http://www.bravewords.com/news/166467

KISS To Deliver New Album Early Next Year - "There’s No Plan To Sit Around In 2012" Eric Singer Tells BraveWords.com In Part II Of Exclusive Chat

KISS drummer Eric Singer recently sat down with BraveWords.com scribe, Mitch Lafon, for an all-encompassing three-hour chat. Part I of the sit-down can be found here. In Part II, Eric discusses more of KISS' upcoming plans.

On the upcoming KISSology IV DVD Box set: “It should be out before Christmas. It’ll be about twelve hours of stuff. Tommy has been putting it all together, but I can’t tell you exactly what is on it because we still have to get the rights to some of the stuff. The band has to buy the rights even if it’s only one song like on David Letterman or Jay Leno. Even though it’s your performance, it’s their show and they own it. KISSology IV picks up where the last one left off. For the most part it runs chronologically, but there is some old vintage stuff on there that they had been trying to find. It’s all a matter of clearance and them getting permission to use certain stuff. There’s an A list of stuff we want, a B list of stuff we know we can use and C list of stuff we have to wait and see if we can use, but I do know there will be a Cobo Hall (Detroit) concert from 2009.”

On the topic of Paul Stanley: “Paul is the consummate pro. Paul never complains. He’s calm before the show, but when he walks out on stage he flips the switch, goes 100%, gives it all and never ever complains. This is a guy who has had both knees replaced, his hip (on the right side) replaced twice and torn both rotator cuffs (in his shoulders). He might say, ’I’m really sore, so I’ll need a massage or I’m staying in bed today, but still after all he’s had done he never complains.”

KISS maven, Gene Simmons: “Gene is the archivist in KISS. Anytime there’s an article about KISS, Gene tears it out nicely and he puts them in these big coffee table sized books. He used to have them stacked at home under the bed at his mom’s house, but I don’t know where he stores them now. He collects anything and everything KISS."

As for Gene’s love of money, Singer says: “I laugh when people say that all Gene Simmons cares about is money. Nobody really knows who Gene is. Nobody loves KISS more than Gene… NOBODY! Gene eats, breathes, and lives everything KISS. That’s what he does. Gene is a workaholic. We’re on a day off right now and I’m at home, but Gene’s in Vancouver doing demos with local musicians. He’s working on song ideas for the new record. He did it in Toronto last week on his day off too. Gene can’t sit still. He can’t just relax by the pool and get some sun. That’s just the way he is. He’s got work ethic like nobody’s business. There’s nobody more driven and with a better work ethic than Gene. Gene is 24/7 KISS. Everything he does is because of KISS.”

On KISS’ work ethic, Singer states: “These guys don’t fuck around. When we meet at rehearsal, they put on the guitars and gear and we run the set from front to back and it’s see you guys later. Let’s say the set takes two hours to run down, we’re there no more than three hours. Other bands goof around for hours, but these guys come in and ‘bam’ they run this shit down and get it done with. They do their work and leave. Still to this day (38 years or whatever later), they still do the work and whatever it takes that you are supposed to do to be in band. They will talk to Joe Fucks website. Whatever interview list they give us to do… we do it. In other words, we do the work. That’s why, for any of the naysayers out there, we get along and this line-up works. This is why Gene and Paul still want to play and enjoy it. We’re all completely different in our personalities, but when it comes to being in a band everybody treats KISS professionally and with respect. It’s about being respectful to it and being serious. Bottom line is that this band has given everybody a life style that is better than most people and that comes from them doing the due diligence, doing the work, treating it with professionalism, respect, and not running away from the work. It gets done. I’ve learned a lot from Gene and Paul about those things that are taken for granted by most musicians. Much smaller bands will sit there and have an attitude about doing interviews… ‘I don’t want to do this or I don’t want to do that,’ and you know Mitch – you hear it and see it all the time. Then you see a band like KISS, that will do whatever they have to do.”

On the new KISS album currently being recorded: “It will be completed in the next couple of months. The plan is to put it out at the beginning of the year and to do a tour with a new stage (new staging and new show) and maybe even new costumes. There’s no plan to sit around in 2012.”

When asked if the new album will be a Walmart exclusive (much like their last offering, Sonic Boom): “I don’t know. What’s changed more than anything, is in the old days you toured to support a record, but now you make a record so that you have a reason to tour. It’s exactly the opposite of what it used to be. The only way bands can make money anymore is by touring. People just don’t buy records when I was in BADLANDS in 1989, we sold almost 400 000 copies of our first record and that wasn’t enough. Atlantic records said that they’d kick in the real big money if we could get it to Gold (500,000 copies sold). We came so close to getting MÖTLEY CRÜE's Dr. Feelgood tour, but WARRANT got it because they had radio songs happening. Badlands did one more record. They went from selling almost 400,000 to selling 80,000 on the next one and then the band was over. If you sold 350,000 records today; that would be considered phenomenal.”

When asked if KISS will ever tour again without make-up Singer offers: “I don’t know. I’ve heard Gene mention something about maybe doing another KISS convention thing again in the future, but I don’t know if that’s ever going to happen. When we did it in 1995, it cost 100$, but that’s nothing compared to today’s prices. For the fan, that was a great experience, but Gene says a lot of things. He’s an idea man and in business if one or two of your ideas comes to fruition you’ve done pretty damn good. Do you know how many pilots and screenplays that get done, but never see the light of day and that nobody knows about? One of the things we plan on doing on the KISS Kruise, however, is to play unplugged with no make-up.”
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:29 am

Nice chat with our little doppelganger.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 am

Roger. H wrote:
Nice chat with our little doppelganger.

I thought it was purrrfect... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul Stanley Interview...   Paul Stanley Interview... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paul Stanley Interview...
Page 1 of 1