Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?

Go down 
+4
Rev
Frethead
Chrissy
Pete
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Are Black Sabbath 'Heavy Metal'?
Yes
Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_vote_lcap43%Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
No
Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_vote_lcap57%Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:06 am

RFFB' mate BayKiss thinks the Sab's aren't a heavy metal band believing like Mr Iommi himself them to be a hard rock band.

What say the good folks of FMF?

Sabs? Metal or not?
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 am

I have to agree with Mr. BayKISS..Hard rock yes...metal nah......................
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 am

Chrissy wrote:
I have to agree with Mr. BayKISS..Hard rock yes...metal nah......................

Weirdo!
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 am

I'm a weirdo?..........I have one word for you..................Wicked
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:58 am

Chrissy wrote:
I'm a weirdo?..........I have one word for you..................Wicked

Evil

Oh hang on wrong thread!
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

Number of posts : 3032
Job/hobbies : consumption
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 am

Black Sabbath aren't Heavy Metal. Don't be so burdened with that statement, they never were! When Ozzy was with 'em, they were a hippy jam band. Sloppy and weak - hardly what I accept as Heavy Metal. ( John Wayne was Heavy Metal. Steve McQueen was Heavy Metal. Ronald Reagan was Heavy Metal. Jim Morrison, William Shakespeare, Jimi Hendrix, J.S. Bach, Ludwig von Beethoven, Er Doktor Professor Ferdinand Porsche, Gen. George Washington, and Winston Churchill were Heavy Metal.) Only when they recorded the Black Sabbath jingle were they suddenly eminent enough to carry the titular distinction as if they alone had manually forced open the Heavens and created Heavy Metal in their bare hands, and were singularly entitled to brandish the flag! ( Steppenwolf were the first to mention the term in music. Does this mean that they were "heavy metal?") To their credit, their music improved exponentially after the seperation with Ozzy, as they concentrated on higher quality musicianship/ recordings. Though, the times have changed and I must admit that I avoid "heavy metal,"as it were . . . I do remember anything that mentioned death or dying with distorted expressions/ dark overtones was considered "heavy metal," and later came the unfortunately over-embellished "death metal" prescriptivism. Pffft. Wrong. Weak. "Heavy metal" is faux pas. Black Sabbath; yes, they are definitively Hard Rock! Heavy Metal is the real thing. Hard Rock is where it resides!

Last edited by Frethead on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 am; edited 20 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 am

Yeah what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez Fret, you had your Wheaties this morning!
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 am

Chrissy wrote:
Yeah what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez Fret, you had your Wheaties this morning!

tongue Hah -hah -haaaaah!!! To be completely honest, Chrissy, I happen to have filled my jazzy cup with fresh, hot and frightfully dark PG Tea before I sat down with the intent to belch that mess of words up! rabbit Hah -haaaaaaah! bounce cheer bottom's up
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:28 am

Fair enough. I think they are Metal but it's good too see differing opinions (even if you are all weirdo's)!
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 am

So, like, only three of us are concerned with it???
Back to top Go down
Rev

Rev

Number of posts : 1621
Job/hobbies : Maker of Metal
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 am

I've always just considered them heavy rock n roll. rock on
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:45 am

Believe it or not...I went with no!

Why? Well, as Baykiss posted even the band never classed themselves as HM. And as the term wasn't even really around when they came out, how could they be? They may have helped create a genre, but they are just a rock band. And to this day still one of my absolute favs.

You might as well ask are Sabbath a black/death metal band as so many of those bands cite Sabbath as an influence. Sabbath always get lumbered with this satanic metal thing too. Other than some album imagery and a few tunes they werent really a satanic band. Loved Ozzy's quote when he was asked he was into Black Magic by some numpty and he replied 'Only the chocolates!!!!!' None of the band have ever professed any interest in black magic not like say Jimmy Page did with his Crowley obessesion.

What is termed HM these days does not bear much resemblance to Sabbaths music other than it is heavy and guitar based. To me Sabbaths melodies are sorely and criminally overlooked. They were a very experimental band too (SBS/Techincal Ectasy/Vol 4 & Sabotage especially) and even kinda poppy 'Am I Goin Insane' & as far back as 'Evil Woman' being classic examples. There is a lot more to Sabbaths music than they were EVER given credit for.

In all of music I honestly believe that Sabbath are one of the most misunderstood and misinterpreted bands. People hear the name, look at the album covers, hear the odd song and go 'oh yeah. They're that satanic heavy metal band, aren't they?'

Well actually...no. They aren't.

Just my opinion.

Actually, you could argue Deep Purple had more in common with HM, tho I am not saying they are HM. Speed King, Flight Of The Rat - all fast, in your face tunes. Sabbath never really did fast tunes.
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

Number of posts : 887

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:41 am

Metal as FU#K!!

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:31 am

'Scope wrote:
Metal as FU#K!!

'Scope

Thank you 'Scope!

Someone with a bit of sense! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:38 am

What a load of Bollocks my friends sometimes spout on here !!! Sabbath not Metal !!??? Give me a break !!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Agreed it's not what we think of as metal nowdays but at the time this music was heavy as F*** !!!! And by the way, the term Heavy Metal was around then having been used in the lyrics of the Steppenwolf classic " Born to be Wild " in 1968 ( no fret I don't consider them a metal band ) and of course the first metal riffs were recorded in 1964 when the Kinks gave as " You Really Got Me " and " All Day and All of the Night ". ( or were they ???) scratch I've listened to Mark Lamarr's alternative 60's show a few times and some of the old tracks he plays on there can only be described as Metal !! and these are from the very early 60's. So who knows when it all started, all I know is that Sabbath are METAL !!!!! ( IMHO ). Wink

I voted yes by the way. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

'Scope wrote:
Metal as FU#K!!

'Scope

Well done 'scope, Spoken like a true Metal fan !! thums up

Last edited by Roger H on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:49 am

blah blah blah....and its unfair to call names I don't know the meaning of!!!!! Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? 11_5_1

Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? Sig
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 am

Chrissy wrote:
blah blah blah....and its unfair to call names I don't know the meaning of!!!!! Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? 11_5_1

Quit yer bitching women!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am

Pete wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Quit yer bitching women!

Hey isn't that a Sabbath track ????
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am

thats good....... Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 am

Roger H wrote:
What a load of Bollocks my friends sometimes spout on here !!! Sabbath not Metal !!??? Give me a break !!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Agreed it's not what we think of as metal nowdays but at the time this music was heavy as F*** !!!! And by the way, the term Heavy Metal was around then having been used in the lyrics of the Steppenwolf classic " Born to be Wild " in 1968 ( no fret I don't consider them a metal band ) and of course the first metal riffs were recorded in 1964 when the Kinks gave as " You Really Got Me " and " All Day and All of the Night ". ( or were they ???) scratch I've listened to Mark Lamarr's alternative 60's show a few times and some of the old tracks he plays on there can only be described as Metal !! and these are from the very early 60's. So who knows when it all started, all I know is that Sabbath are METAL !!!!! ( IMHO ). Wink

I voted yes by the way. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ok. I concede the term may have been around but as a music genre it still didn't really exist. It wasn't until the mid-late 1970's that HM came to the fore as a musical term used to actually describe music. As far as I can recall anyway. Previously it was simply hard rock...
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:03 pm

Now this is why I like this site. I made a critical post and no one bats an eyelid, I get a "Whatever !", a set up to make a joke and a sensible answer telling me we aint going to agree on this one, perfect ! Unlike a certain other forum where, I suspect, all Hell would have broken lose by now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Roger H wrote:
Now this is why I like this site. I made a critical post and no one bats an eyelid, I get a "Whatever !", a set up to make a joke and a sensible answer telling me we aint going to agree on this one, perfect ! Unlike a certain other forum where, I suspect, all Hell would have broken lose by now. Very Happy

loosely speaking? flash
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Roger H wrote:

See I don't understand one-sided thinking like that..Why would it be fun if we all agreed...Where is the colorful discussion and the banter....Disagreeing is passionate and fun....They all sound like they need a good ass kick to me...or at least pull the big stick out.....

For me I think I answered this question by when i thought heavy metal originated...I do think for its time Black Sabbath was definetly one of the hardest rock bands but I don't see where the metal edge and sound had come into play yet...If I think of metal I immediately think of Motorhead as being one of the forefathers and then bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden...That is where I see this new genre of music starting...I think those bands would have never gotten there without bands like Sabbath but i still see them as a pivetal step and not the definitive group....
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 2:03 am

Chrissy wrote:
Roger H wrote:

See I don't understand one-sided thinking like that..Why would it be fun if we all agreed...Where is the colorful discussion and the banter....Disagreeing is passionate and fun....They all sound like they need a good ass kick to me...or at least pull the big stick out.....

For me I think I answered this question by when i thought heavy metal originated...I do think for its time Black Sabbath was definetly one of the hardest rock bands but I don't see where the metal edge and sound had come into play yet...If I think of metal I immediately think of Motorhead as being one of the forefathers and then bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden...That is where I see this new genre of music starting...I think those bands would have never gotten there without bands like Sabbath but i still see them as a pivetal step and not the definitive group....

It's because I was obviously trying to get you all to agree with me!
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:11 am

Pete you silly man......If you want someone to unconditional tell you that you're right....then you shouldn't have gotten married!!!lol!!

Just kidding....You don't want us to all agree with you..it'd be boring!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?   Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath, they're 'Heavy Metal'...right?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next