Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know Empty
PostSubject: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 7:59 am

Dean Goodman of Reuters reports:

Paul Stanley surveys his home high in the hills overlooking Los Angeles and proudly dubs it "the house that bad reviews built."

But the KISS frontman is a mere visitor, relegated with his young family to a rental down the hill while contractors complete a renovation that's miraculously on-budget and on-time.

His own band has undergone quite a few make-overs since the costumed, face-painting quartet formed in New York 37 years ago, not all as smoothly executed.

Stanley, 57, and fellow bandleader Gene Simmons, 60, are the only two constants in KISS, touring relentlessly with a revolving cast of guitarists and drummers. Their last studio album, 1998's "Psycho Circus," was cobbled together with the help of outside songwriters and session musicians.

The duo, both sons of Jewish refugees who instilled them with vigorous work ethics, have formed one of the more enduring -- and lucrative -- bonds in rock 'n' roll. They even live about two minutes' drive from each other, although Stanley says he's been to Simmons' house perhaps four times in the past decade.

"We're very close as family," he said. "You can love your brother and not want to see him all the time."

As the rock-star manse speeds toward completion, KISS also seems to be on a roll. A new studio album, "Sonic Boom," debuted at No. 2 on the U.S. pop chart on Wednesday, the band's highest ranking ever. Some 108,000 copies were sold in the first week.

Fans needed just $12 to buy the Walmart-only release, which consists of one disc with 11 new songs, another disc with re-recorded hits and a DVD.

KISS is also on the road at a U.S. venue near you, and it is even being considered for entry in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year.

Not bad for a band that launched a yearlong farewell tour in 2000 to cap a career that placed aggressive marketing of merchandise to its loyal fans in the "KISS Army" ahead of musical acumen.

Its current tour is designed as an homage to its 1975 live breakthrough "Alive!" Only one new song is thrown in, the first single "Modern Day Delilah."

"Nobody wants to hear new songs that they don't know," Stanley says. "It just doesn't make any sense."

His dismissive attitude is surprising given that he produced the new album himself for the first time, and wrote or co-wrote nine of the tracks.

Many of the songs -- celebrations of what Stanley calls "freedom, love of life, the value of friendship" -- are fist-pumping anthems that would seem natural contenders for big stadium or arena shows. He tantalizingly acknowledges as much.

"We played those songs during sound checks. They sound every bit as good as anything else. They have the soul," he said.

The new song "Stand," which Simmons and Stanley wrote together, is a tribute to their friendship, sure to bring tears to the eyes of emotional fans.

"The idea that we shouldn't revel in the idea of camaraderie or teamwork or what people can accomplish together is silly," Stanley said. "What we hope for in life is companionship, people we care about. It's timeless."

Another of their odes to teamwork, "All For The Glory," is sung by 51-year-old drummer Eric Singer, who adopts the stage persona originated by his ousted predecessor Peter Criss.

Many fans long for the return of the original lineup, which featured Criss and guitarist Ace Frehley, who was replaced by long-time KISS sidekick Tommy Thayer, 48. Not going to happen, says Stanley, who says they were not team players.

Frehley, 58, left the band for a second time in 2002, and just celebrated three years' sobriety. He released a solo album last month. Criss, 63, who had three stints in the band, was terminated in 2004. Stanley has not spoken to him since.

"It's so great to have a band of guys who all love the band, and all want to do what's best for the band, as opposed to further themselves at the band's expense," Stanley said.

"Anybody who would kid themselves into believing that 'Sonic Boom' could have been made by any four other members is out of their mind."
Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 1:59 am

UTTER BOLLOCKS!!! :head case:

If that's so then when are fans begging for tracks from SB to be played live? Why did Kiss record a new CD if not to play the stuff live? If this is so so then why are they not just playing the Kiss record as if they follow this ridiculous logic then they'd never have played anything after 'Kiss'?

Surely a tour is there to support a new record? AAARRGGGHHH!!! :mad as hell: I love Kiss but sometimes.... :mad as hell:
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 7:28 am

Couldn't have said it better Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 7:36 am

Chrissy wrote:
Couldn't have said it better Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Sometimes KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know Kisslogo are so damn infuriating!!!
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 8:10 am

infuriating and inflated.............................
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 am

Chrissy wrote:

That bloody beach ball gets everywhere! Evil or Very Mad lol!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 am

Yep. Agree.I think I've had enough of Alive being rehashed on tour. Maybe start taking from AliveII and some more '80s stuff ( and S.B. of course) just to freshen things up a bit !!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 8:43 am

Roger H wrote:
Yep. Agree.I think I've had enough of Alive being rehashed on tour. Maybe start taking from AliveII and some more '80s stuff ( and S.B. of course) just to freshen things up a bit !!

I believe that Sonic Boom is strong enough for them to play the whole thing and then encore with DRC etc...
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 8:59 am

Pete wrote:
UTTER BOLLOCKS!!! :head case:

If that's so then when are fans begging for tracks from SB to be played live? Why did Kiss record a new CD if not to play the stuff live? If this is so so then why are they not just playing the Kiss record as if they follow this ridiculous logic then they'd never have played anything after 'Kiss'?

Surely a tour is there to support a new record? AAARRGGGHHH!!! :mad as hell: I love Kiss but sometimes.... :mad as hell:
A HUGE +1!!!!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 9:00 am

Pete wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

That bloody beach ball gets everywhere! Evil or Very Mad lol!
lol!

Bloody Makems... kill bat
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 am

Pete wrote:
Roger H wrote:

ANOTHER HUGE +1!!!!

I believe that Sonic Boom is strong enough for them to play the whole thing and then encore with DRC etc...
Not sure about the whole album but a good 5-6 would be good...freshen up a now, and for the last 10 years, a very stale set...
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 am

RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:
Roger H wrote:

ANOTHER HUGE +1!!!!

Not sure about the whole album but a good 5-6 would be good...freshen up a now, and for the last 10 years, a very stale set...

It's only 40 minutes long, could easily intersperse other tracks between the SB tracks. Would certainly freshen up the set list a bit..
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 am

Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:
Roger H wrote:

ANOTHER HUGE +1!!!!

It's only 40 minutes long, could easily intersperse other tracks between the SB tracks. Would certainly freshen up the set list a bit..
Actually, I've changed my mind on this. Iif they really mean what they say about the present line-up then, yes, they prob SHOULD do what you're saying. Put their money where their mouth is and show that they ARE a band moving forwards and not looking backwards.

And promote the bloody album!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:59 am

I really do have mixed emotions about this. You're absolutely right, Adam, KISS are a band that's just looking bakward at the moment. I know I've just spent over £800 going to see them recently, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was essentially the same show we have been seeing since 1996 !!!!
It really does need them to promote Sonic Boom properly and build a show around that album with some " Classics " that don't often get played thrown in.
I was wondering about them taking the make-up off again, but I think that would be disaterous and definitely spell the end of the band as we know it.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Roger H wrote:
I really do have mixed emotions about this. You're absolutely right, Adam, KISS are a band that's just looking bakward at the moment. I know I've just spent over £800 going to see them recently, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was essentially the same show we have been seeing since 1996 !!!!
It really does need them to promote Sonic Boom properly and build a show around that album with some " Classics " that don't often get played thrown in.

I was wondering about them taking the make-up off again, but I think that would be disaterous and definitely spell the end of the band as we know it.
Yeah, there is little doubt, if any at all in fact, that KISS are still around because of the image. Which is really ironic as they spent so long the first time around saying how it was the music not the make-up that sells albums!

Seems we've had a complete reversal. The shows in the States seem to be inconsistent in the amount of tickets they are selling even with the make-up so without would surely be the death bell.

I totally fail to see the logic in not playing songs from the album. Eric S has apparently come out and said they will play more when more people buy the album. Yet out of all the people who go to the shows I doubt most of them will bother to buy it, so surely promoting it to a captive audience would have been a good idesa!! But what do I know... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 7:30 pm

RFFB wrote:
Roger H wrote:

Yeah, there is little doubt, if any at all in fact, that KISS are still around because of the image. Which is really ironic as they spent so long the first time around saying how it was the music not the make-up that sells albums!

Seems we've had a complete reversal. The shows in the States seem to be inconsistent in the amount of tickets they are selling even with the make-up so without would surely be the death bell.

I totally fail to see the logic in not playing songs from the album. Eric S has apparently come out and said they will play more when more people buy the album. Yet out of all the people who go to the shows I doubt most of them will bother to buy it, so surely promoting it to a captive audience would have been a good idesa!! But what do I know... Rolling Eyes

I don't understand the logic behind any of this. I'm an average fan not a complete addict but just a fan. They make an album I buy an album they tour the album and play a few past hits......and then repeat......I don't get it.....I don't understand how isolating a band at Walmart is a good marketing idea...to me it failed..I saw the "KISS corner" what a joke......I have tickets coming up and have to tell you more excited about seeing the show then the music and thats sad because i really like music. So come on boys of KISS listen to your fans....we want both the new and the memories....play to all generations of KISS fans and continue to grow or go away......
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 2:11 am

Sonic Boom is a far superior album than Psycho Circus and yet we had the all singing all dancing 3D Psycho Circus tour with new tracks being played !! This to promote an album that, typically for KISS with AF & PC, was hardly a harmonious affair and most times they were not in the studio together or even playing on it !! Oh, and not to mention The Psycho Circus Comics and Action Figures !! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 8:20 am

Roger H wrote:
Sonic Boom is a far superior album than Psycho Circus and yet we had the all singing all dancing 3D Psycho Circus tour with new tracks being played !! This to promote an album that, typically for KISS with AF & PC, was hardly a harmonious affair and most times they were not in the studio together or even playing on it !! Oh, and not to mention The Psycho Circus Comics and Action Figures !! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
If you took the great songs from from Psycho Circus and put them up against the great songs from Sonic Boom I have to say I think Sonic Boom just edges it. Overall I think they are both fairly average albums trying to ride the coat tails of the past.

One thing I am certain about tho is that Psycho Circus would have been a much better album if there hadn't been a ban on songs about sex!!!! I couldn't believe it when I read Gene, of all people, say that in an interview!!!! I also believe it would have been a better album if the producer hadn't told GS & PS that he didnt want AF & PC playing on it! Then in years to come that gets changed to they didn't play on it because they were too busy making demands to come into the studio!

And Chrissy...the only reason why I can see KISS did the Walmart thing is because AC/DC & Journey had such success with their Walmart albums. Anything for an easy buck without having to strain yourself...like playin the songs live!

oh well... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:12 am

RFFB wrote:
Roger H wrote:
If you took the great songs from from Psycho Circus and put them up against the great songs from Sonic Boom I have to say I think Sonic Boom just edges it. Overall I think they are both fairly average albums trying to ride the coat tails of the past.

One thing I am certain about tho is that Psycho Circus would have been a much better album if there hadn't been a ban on songs about sex!!!! I couldn't believe it when I read Gene, of all people, say that in an interview!!!! I also believe it would have been a better album if the producer hadn't told GS & PS that he didnt want AF & PC playing on it! Then in years to come that gets changed to they didn't play on it because they were too busy making demands to come into the studio!

And Chrissy...the only reason why I can see KISS did the Walmart thing is because AC/DC & Journey had such success with their Walmart albums. Anything for an easy buck without having to strain yourself...like playin the songs live!

oh well... Rolling Eyes

Whos' the girly Adam?
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Pete wrote:
Whos' the girly Adam?
You mean this girl?

With the mighty fine logo on her fine chest!!!!... :Marys Drool:

KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know Nicola

You mean you don't know?
So...was this any help?

I think she's a total babe!!!!!... :drooling:

Any guesses?
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:17 am

Lulu !!?? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 2:19 am

Roger H wrote:
Lulu !!?? Very Happy
This forum has become Lulu obssessed!!!!!

Another clue? She's from Liverpool.

And 'NO!'...it's not Cilla!!!!!... lol!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 2:46 am

RFFB wrote:
Roger H wrote:
Lulu !!?? Very Happy

Is she a dirrrty scouse lass that's in g***s a****?

Oh and Kiss seem to have added 'Say Yeah' to the set list...
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 3:08 am

Pete wrote:
RFFB wrote:
Roger H wrote:
Lulu !!?? Very Happy

Is she a dirrrty scouse lass that's in g***s a****?

And with that the mystery is solved!!!

Yep, that's Nicola Roberts from the wonderful and best pop group out there GIRLS ALOUD!!!!

I think they're bloody fantastic and they put on a really good show...and they're very very easy on the eyes!... :Marys Drool: :Marys Drool: :Marys Drool: :Marys Drool: :Marys Drool:
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 3:09 am

Pete wrote:

SAY YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
That's me on YouTube when I get home!!!!!

Very Happy :rockin out:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know   KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KISS Frontman Says "Nobody Wants To Hear New Songs That They Don't Know
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next