Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Out of work for the next 4 weeks...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Out of work for the next 4 weeks... Empty
PostSubject: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:23 am

Just thought I'd vent...

Since November last year I've been working as agency staff for a government organisation. I was told around 2 months ago that it was very likely that they were going to make agency staff take a 4 week break. The reason? To stop any agency staff gaining employment rights which they would get after 12months continuous service. After weeks and weeks of trying to get clarification I was told a week past Friday that it was going to be enforced. So yesterday was my last day for the next 4 weeks.

And this from a government body under the control of a Labour (in name at least) Government!

Apparently there is a European Law which states if an employer has an agency member of staff on their books for too long that, that means there must be a need for the person to do the job so they should be taken on as permanent staff. The Governments lawyers say different but as no-one has actually challenged the European ruling the Govn body is playing safe and enforcing the 4 week break so no employment rights can be gained. No-one has expalined why it is 4 weeks to me tho. Also as Govn organisations are supposed to be open to all, they can't just take on anyone without advertising the post to all first, so the European directive contravenes their own rules.

No-one in the organisation that I have had contact with (one being the 2nd in charge, so pretty high up!) seems to agree with the decision to lay off agancy staff, but the decision has been.

So, thanks to some European directive and the Governments lack of clarity on the issue, I am now unemployed for the next 4 weeks, until I can go back. Which I will 'cos it's a great place to work, but if I haven't been taken on within 6 months as permanent I'll be looking elsewhere...

Have to say, I am more Labour in political leaning but is this a Labour Government...?

My arse is it.

Can we get the fuck outta Europe...please?
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

Number of posts : 3032
Job/hobbies : consumption
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Damnit, RFFB, that sucks! I ran across this video of something closer to what I think of as "gettin' some Florida," dude. Perhaps, it'll help ease your mind some. The plantation ruins are in Flagler county, about twenty minutes north of right here, and the Tomoka river is down at the end of the street. The Halifax is across the street!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 am

You could try and catch my post count up? Wink

Being serious though....sorry to hear this.
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Good Luck Adam. I hope everything works out for you.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 1:35 am

Marty wrote:

Marty! Cute kittens in your avatar! Cool!

Adam, get decorating your flat, we want to visit!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 am

Pete wrote:
Marty wrote:

Marty...THANKS!!

And Pete...wish I could, but no point in decorating when its gonna get torn apart by the builders!!!! And they are proving to be a pain...they've cancelled twice now. I am not impressed. If they hadn't come so highly recommended I think I'd be finding another... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:45 am

RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:
Marty wrote:

Marty...THANKS!!

And Pete...wish I could, but no point in decorating when its gonna get torn apart by the builders!!!! And they are proving to be a pain...they've cancelled twice now. I am not impressed. If they hadn't come so highly recommended I think I'd be finding another... Rolling Eyes

What you having done?

You'd have thought builders would be desperate for work in the current climate...
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

Number of posts : 3032
Job/hobbies : consumption
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am

We're all rooting for you, RFFB! Crack that whip, and I'll bet they get busy! LLLL Marty, I love yur li'l keehinays!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Pete wrote:

What you having done?

You'd have thought builders would be desperate for work in the current climate...
New hot water/heating system/walk-in shower/kitchen & bathroom...

and yeah! I'd have thought they'd be a bit more on the ball too!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out of work for the next 4 weeks...   Out of work for the next 4 weeks... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Out of work for the next 4 weeks...
Page 1 of 1