Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metallica - Do They Still Have It?

Go down 
+11
RFFB
RAZOR777
kokeakola
Andyearny
Mary1234
chuck1223
Marty
'Scope
Chrissy
Pete
Matty35
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Metallica - Do They Still Have It? Empty
PostSubject: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:48 am

Some of you have metioned Metallica in threads already, but do you think they still have street cred & respect? are they done & dusted, or do they still have something to offer?

Like most bands they have released some doughnuts & some gems over their sparkling career, but how do you feel about Lars & the boys?

& just for arguments sake, do you think Metallica would have been more or less successful with Dave Mustaine?

cheers

Matty.. drummer
Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 4:18 am

Well I quite like Death Magnetic, but seeing as I got into them properly thru Load & Reload probably not the person to ask.

Kill 'em all is a wee bit too noisy for my liking. RTL, MOP are cool though.

Lars is turning into Gene Simmons though!
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 am

Pete wrote:

Now that's funny!

I have no respect for them ever since I watched their therapy on t.v...
make good music and shut up about your hate for one another or turn off the lights and go home....
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

Number of posts : 887

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:06 am

Chrissy wrote:
Pete wrote:

Now that's funny!

make good music and shut up about your hate for one another or turn off the lights and go home....

Chrissy, R we going to have to go over this Quote thingy again?? bottom's up

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:11 am

Chrissy wrote:
Pete wrote:

Now that's funny!

Scope wrote:
Chrissy, R we going to have to go over this Quote thingy again?? bottom's up

I think i needed a refresher course, but I think I got it. I thought for sure here we go again.! cheesin'
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:15 am

Well, looks like your getting better?? Nice improvement Chrissy. Keep UP the good work, you'll get it!!!!

Idea

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 am

When I go to a Metallica concert I want to hear the old stuff. I still think they have what it takes it's just a different time now. I will get more familiar with the newer tunes when I go see my friends Metallica Tribute band. rok on

Even though Dave Mustaine's personality is quite often questionable I love his music. I enjoy his old and new stuff. He did quite well for himself after he was kick out of Metallica. I don't need to hear them in their therapy sessions either Chrissy. lol! Just play the Damn Music already!!!!!!! Marty
Back to top Go down
chuck1223
Admin
chuck1223

Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : forum lurker

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 12:50 pm

I just went ahead and repaired the quote train wreck from above....lol
Back to top Go down
http://robbintribute.8forum.info
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:05 pm

cheesin' See Chuck i give purpose!

i actually saw them in a bar back in the early 80's before they hit it big and they were so good. Dave Mustagne was just amazing. Much later we saw them play with Guns and Rodeos at Dodger Stadium and they were just as good but with some talent that time produces. Now, ehh I'm not so sure the vibe is the same. Back then the rawness of the anger and pain was so real and now its a memory and to me it shows in their music that they have softened. I wish they would try to go in a different direction that might fit their new outlook instead of trying to recreate something they have moved away from..

Am I wrong....
Back to top Go down
Mary1234

Mary1234

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 pm

I like their old stuff.

I really have to laugh at some of their new songs....sounds like they couldn't come up with anything better then "sayings" we've all heard before, like "this I swear" etc.......they don't do it for me anymore...
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 am

Does Dave Mustaine have more reason to laugh at his former band, considering all the therapy & counselling shit? - Or should we point the finger at Mustaine for all the line up changes Rolling Eyes ? When David Ellefson wasn't asked to rejoin Dave after his injury, many turned their back on the band.

Personally, i like most of what Megadeth release but which band is the biggest joke for musical & personal issues?

Cheers

Matty.. Wink
Back to top Go down
Andyearny

Andyearny

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 am

Well i dig the new album.......plenty of great music and attitude imo, closer to where they originally came from. Everybody has a fav or worst album whether it be because of songs, production or whatever, some of the older cover stuff from Garage Days/Inc were some of my fav recordings by Metallica probably because of the attitude and the less extravagant production. Most fav...And justice for All...very closely followed by Master of Puppets, KEA and RTL.......the Black album deserved and suited the big B Rock production but personally i'm glad that's over with now! Staying motivated must be hard with the length of time it has taken them to do some of there albums............major issues lol!

With regards D Mustaine, well i've always been a big fan of Megadeth, RIP is one of my fav all time albums.....both Metallica and Megadeth went on to create some awesome metal. Maybe they would have all destroyed each other if they had stayed together, something we will never know.....i don't think Metallica could have been any more successful than they have anyway!

Imagine if they collaborated now though! affraid

The best,
Andy

rock on
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 5:41 am

chuck1223 wrote:
I just went ahead and repaired the quote train wreck from above....lol

lol!

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 am

I know the forthcoming UK tour sold out in 10 minutes or something daft so some one must think they still 'have it'...
Back to top Go down
kokeakola

kokeakola

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 pm

I think they still have it. I've heard some kickin' tunes off that new disc! farao
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Pete wrote:
I know the forthcoming UK tour sold out in 10 minutes or something daft so some one must think they still 'have it'...

Ya know, if a band is capable of selling tickets at a clip like this it doesn't matter if they still have it or not.

'Scope
Back to top Go down
RAZOR777

RAZOR777

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:33 pm

If Mustaine had not been kicked out of Metallica, then we'd never have Megadeth, especially the Marty-era Megadeth that I love so much (well, most of that era, as you'll see below)!

I got into Metallica a long time ago, and they still put on a great show. Of course, I was a bit turned off by Load, Reload, and the whole Napster shenanigans. I liked Garage Days revisited (except the newer stuff they recorded like "Whisky in the Jar" and that Bob Seger stuff). Then, the S&M thing interested me, but the Waambulance Video/Some Kind of Bulls*** thing and that album turned me off again.

Finally, Death Magnetic got me a little interested, but I agree, "this I swear" and the "sayings" lyrics really annoy me!

So, as you can see, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster with Metallica for me!

As for Megadeth, I really haven't cared for anything since Youthanasia. But RIP and Countdown make up for everything after that! Marty's solos and Dave's riffs and lyrics just slay.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:28 pm

kokeakola wrote:
I think they still have it. I've heard some kickin' tunes off that new disc! farao
Played the new album from the Metallica site on my laptop and it sounded sh*t. But saw them on 'Later with...' and the songs rocked. Probably not a good idea to listen to Metallica on your lappy speakers I've decided!!

Still haven't heard the new album in full but it is a vast improvement on 'St Sh*t' ...but then it couldn't be much worse. All bands go through ups and downs. Metallica have had a few downs, The death of Cliff (RIP), the division about 'Load' and then 'Re-Load', Lars and his crusading( Sleep ), the sudden interest in make-up and the aformentioned 'St Sh*t'. But they've come through them all.

They have become a rock institution. They helped a new style of rock come to the fore. They were there, they did it. Are they the band they were, no. But how many bands that have survived as long as they have are?

Personally I think their two best albums are 'RTL' & the 'Black' album. It's hard to live up to an album as immense as the 'Black' album.

But do they still have it? I'll go for "yes."
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 am

RFFB wrote:
kokeakola wrote:
Played the new album from the Metallica site on my laptop and it sounded sh*t. But saw them on 'Later with...' and the songs rocked. Probably not a good idea to listen to Metallica on your lappy speakers I've decided!!

Still haven't heard the new album in full but it is a vast improvement on 'St Sh*t' ...but then it couldn't be much worse. All bands go through ups and downs. Metallica have had a few downs, The death of Cliff (RIP), the division about 'Load' and then 'Re-Load', Lars and his crusading( Sleep ), the sudden interest in make-up and the aformentioned 'St Sh*t'. But they've come through them all.

They have become a rock institution. They helped a new style of rock come to the fore. They were there, they did it. Are they the band they were, no. But how many bands that have survived as long as they have are?

Personally I think their two best albums are 'RTL' & the 'Black' album. It's hard to live up to an album as immense as the 'Black' album.

Nicely said Adam!...Although i am partial to a bit of "Kill Em All". thums up
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Matty35 wrote:
RFFB wrote:
kokeakola wrote:

Nicely said Adam!...Although i am partial to a bit of "Kill Em All". thums up
Couldn't tell you the last time I heard that album, but I DO like 'Seek and Destroy', 'Whiplash' & 'Four Horsemen' (that is on KEA...I think...? scratch!!! )
Back to top Go down
Holoflash

Holoflash

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:52 pm

I found this picture the other day and figured some one would get a kick out of it !

Metallica - Do They Still Have It? 01jan1809_pic13
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:58 pm

Holoflash wrote:
I found this picture the other day and figured some one would get a kick out of it !

lol! Class!

But is that a wish from the young 'un regarding Hanna Montana or a statement!!!!
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:18 am

RFFB wrote:
Holoflash wrote:

lol! Class!

But is that a wish from the young 'un regarding Hanna Montana or a statement!!!!

lol! lol! lol! - Always seeing the bigger picture!! thums up
Back to top Go down
laxcdn

laxcdn

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:50 am

I think they can still write good tunes, but need to capture some of the old days. THe new cd is way too processed, ie too compressed. THey need to get back some of that old school sound with the new tunes.

I got to see them on the And Justice For All tour and it was great, and the Gun's N Roses/Metallica/Faith No More tour and that was good too. That was when James burnt his arm and had a replacement playing guitar.
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:31 am

Holoflash wrote:

happy boy

NICE 1....

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Do They Still Have It?   Metallica - Do They Still Have It? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallica - Do They Still Have It?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next