Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Calling Rev...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Calling Rev... Empty
PostSubject: Calling Rev...   Calling Rev... I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 3:55 am

or anyone else who's into Rush.

I've been asked by a colleague what's the best Rush album to start with. As I know eff all about Rush thought I'd ask here...
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Calling Rev... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling Rev...   Calling Rev... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Interesting question tbh!

Rush have undergone a few musical style changes over the years, but my favs are Fly By Night, 2112, Moving Pictures & Grace Under Pressure.

Personal fav is 2112. It has everything, the epic 2112 itself made up of several segments taking up all of side1 (showing my age!) & side 2 has the stunning ballad Tears along with some classic 3minute rock tunes.

In this age of Youtube I'd just say go and search for the complete albums, give them a listen and go from there!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Calling Rev... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling Rev...   Calling Rev... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 9:41 am

The first 5 albums are brilliant. Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112 and All The World's a Stage. After that they go a bit technical for me. Quite like Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres but then they lost me after Moving Pictures.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Calling Rev... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling Rev...   Calling Rev... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 4:50 pm

One of my mates was a huge Rush fan so even when they lost me after Hemispheres I still heard their stuff. Didn't really do much for me until a few years after each release date of the stuff from Hemispheres tbh. The only album, that still grabbed me instantly was Moving Pictures. Brilliant album to this day.

Their style went very keyboard influenced for quite awhile and it wasn't the same. Really like those albums now, some great catchy tunes but at the time...hmm!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Calling Rev... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling Rev...   Calling Rev... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am

Well I thank you both for the informed messages. I shall pass on the information.

Cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Rev

Rev

Number of posts : 1621
Job/hobbies : Maker of Metal
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Calling Rev... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling Rev...   Calling Rev... I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 am

Well dang I missed out on this one. Sorry to everyone I haven't been here in a while. Life ya know. Anyway, I'm gonna put in my 2 cents worth on this. It's hard for me to say which is the best RUSH album to start with but for me I got really into RUSH on FLY BY NIGHT and basically is was because I'd been introduced to them by a friend who was a drummer (like me) and told me about Neil Peart. However I found that it was interesting to hear the first album to really understand how they'd progressed musically & lyrically by the 2nd album. Of course I have my favorites for different reasons and I still love RUSH but like most albums...start with the first to really "get it"? Ok done. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Calling Rev... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling Rev...   Calling Rev... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calling Rev...
Page 1 of 1