Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend! Empty
PostSubject: For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!   For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 1:41 am

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Carmageddon-Expected-In-Los-Angeles-As-10-Miles-Of-Road-Is-Closed-Down/Article/201107316030750?lpos=World_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_16030750_Carmageddon_Expected_In_Los_Angeles_As_10_Miles_Of_Road_Is_Closed_Down

Total gridlock could be on the cards for motorists in Los Angeles this weekend as a vital stretch of road is closed down.

Ten miles of the 405 freeway will be shut so a bridge can be demolished as part of a $1bn (£620m) road widening project.

The stretch of freeway - known as the Sepulveda Pass - connects the west side of Los Angeles with the San Fernando Valley and is one of the city's worst at the best of times with traffic rarely moving faster than a crawl.

On a typical summer weekend half a million cars use the Pass.

The UCLA Medical Centre has taken precautions, securing 600 dorms and flats as temporary quarters for hospital staff as part of an emergency plan to prevent doctors and nurses from getting stuck in the traffic.

To avoid "Carmageddon" as it is being dubbed by local residents, city officials have been urging people to keep their cars at home and shop locally.

"We need every Angeleno to chip in and turn this into a unique opportunity to explore local small business, neighbourhoods and use public transport" urged LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

This being Hollywood, celebrities have been recruited to drive the message home.

"CHiPS" actor Erik Estrada has appeared in TV adverts and Tom Hanks has been tweeting his followers.

Some businesses are making the best of the forecast mayhem.

Several companies are offering helicopter "taxis" that will allow commuters to leapfrog the congestion and get to LA International Airport on time for flights.

An emergency operations centre will be set up this evening as freeway entrances start to close from 7pm local time.

The road will close in full at midnight and re-open in time for the Monday morning rush.

Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!   For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:53 am

ha hahahahaha
Carmagedeon!!!!!

Trust me people are panicking.....

the 405 for me doesn't exist unless I need to get to LAX to fly to England!!!!
So no worries there......

Its the most traveled strip of fwy in the state...Always packed...runs through a canyon...they are closing between 2 other big fwys the 10 and the 101......
You would think for 2 days the world is not going to end but so many people are panicking..They have been warning everyone for months..major ad campaign and emergency crews all set up for the event.....

I won't even notice.....
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!   For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 am

Chrissy wrote:
ha hahahahaha
Carmagedeon!!!!!

Trust me people are panicking.....

the 405 for me doesn't exist unless I need to get to LAX to fly to England!!!!
So no worries there......

Its the most traveled strip of fwy in the state...Always packed...runs through a canyon...they are closing between 2 other big fwys the 10 and the 101......
You would think for 2 days the world is not going to end but so many people are panicking..They have been warning everyone for months..major ad campaign and emergency crews all set up for the event.....

I won't even notice.....

So (and please don't take offence here) a typical reaction from US citizens then?
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!   For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:58 am

you have 2 sets of people in California.....The sky is falling set who think the world is ending or people like me who could care less......

its funny
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!   For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 8:21 am

L.A is a very strange city. We stayed in Santa Monica (nice), Studio City (not so nice), Anaheim (only there for the Hockey and Football) and Newport Beach ( Very nice). Bizarrely we never went into Hollywood. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!   For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For Chrissy...stay at home this weekend!
Page 1 of 1