Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 1:45 am

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/FBI-Investigation-Into-News-Corporation-Over-Allegations-9-11-Victims-Were-On-List-Of-Phone-Hackers/Article/201107316030733?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_16030733_FBI_Investigation_Into_News_Corporation_Over_Allegations_911_Victims_Were_On_List_Of_Phone_Hackers

If News Corp's American shareholders thought the firestorm was over - the Manhattan field office of the FBI had a bombshell for them.
Confirmation that the Feds are indeed "looking into" the allegations that 9/11 victims were on the target list of phone hackers sent News Corp shares plunging again.

Although they recovered slightly by the end of trading it appears there is a prolonged period of uncertainty ahead for the company.

The extent of the FBI probe is unknown at this stage but it is hard to see how it could be concluded swiftly, with inquires necessary on both sides of the pond.
And until it is, the shadow of phone hacking hangs over the company's Avenue of the America's home in New York just as heavily as it does over Wapping.

Shareholders had been encouraged by the company's multi-billion dollar buyback earlier this week and the decision to edge away from its bid for BSkyB.
It appeared to have brought some stability and put much-needed distance between the UK scandal and a massively influential US media giant.
But an investigation, called for by senior members of congress, suddenly makes this a very real US news story. Rival organisations, which had only taken a passing interest in the News International scandal until this week, are now putting together elaborate reports on it. The indications from within the FBI are that so far they know of very little information about the alleged 9/11 hacking other than that contained in the Daily Mirror's original report. But such is the seriousness of the allegation, and the power of those terrorist attacks on the American psyche, there was no way they could not investigate.

That investigation will be damaging enough whatever the outcome - it is a massive blow for News Corp that it is taking place at all. And there still remains the possibility of congressional hearings - traditionally rough and tumble haranguing which make Commons select committees look like chats in the pavilion at Lord's.

As Senator Robert Menendez, who called for investigations, told me: "If there was no such activity, this will end here. If there was, it needs to be prosecuted." Just as in the UK, there are plenty in the US who are not willing to let this go.

Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:01 am

...so she's finally fallen upon her sword...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14166162

Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News International, has resigned, the company has confirmed. Her departure follows days of increasing pressure to step down as the phone hacking crisis grew.
In a statement, she said she felt a "deep responsibility for the people we have hurt".
News Corporation is to take out national press adverts this weekend to apologise for what it described as "the wrongdoings at the News of the World".

Prime Minister David Cameron thinks that Rebekah Brooks's resignation was "the right decision", his official spokesman said. Rebekah Brooks was the paper's editor between 2000 and 2003, during which time murder victim Milly Dowler's phone was hacked.

She said she wanted to "reiterate how sorry I am for what we now know to have taken place".

Her statement went on: "I have believed that the right and responsible action has been to lead us through the heat of the crisis. However my desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate.

"This is now detracting attention from all our honest endeavours to fix the problems of the past." Ms Brooks, 43, who had been with News International for 22 years, bowed to the international pressure piling up on the company. She has been replaced by Tom Mockridge, who was in charge of News Corporation's Italian broadcasting arm.

In other developments:

The FBI is investigating reports that Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation sought to hack the phones of victims of the 9/11 attacks

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Mr Murdoch defended the company's handling of the crisis

Mr Murdoch and his son James have agreed to stand in front of the Commons media select committee next Tuesday to answer MPs questions on the hacking scandal

Former Conservative Party chairman Lord Fowler, speaking in a House of Lords debate, said Rupert Murdoch could have prevented the phone-hacking scandal by taking editorial control over his newspapers

In a message to News International staff, News Corporation's chief executive in Europe, James Murdoch, hailed Ms Brooks as "one of the outstanding editors of her generation" who "can be proud of many accomplishments as an executive".

"We support her as she takes this step to clear her name," he said.

Mr Murdoch revealed that News Corporation was planning to use national press adverts this weekend to apologise to the nation for wrongdoing at the News of the World.

"We are also sending letters to our commercial partners with an update on the actions we are taking.

"The company has made mistakes. It is not only receiving appropriate scrutiny, but is also responding to unfair attacks by setting the record straight."

Mr Murdoch praised new chief executive Tom Mockridge as "a highly respected and accomplished media executive", who had shown "leadership and integrity" in creating the Sky Italia 24-hour TV news channel in Italy.

The leader of the Labour Party, Ed Miliband, said: "It is right that Rebekah Brooks has resigned. No-one should exercise power without responsibility."

John Whittingdale, chairman of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee, said he believed her resignation had been "inevitable".

"I think many people expected it to come rather sooner, but I think her position was extremely difficult," he said.

"I think the most shocking revelation of all, perhaps, was the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone, which took place when she was the editor of the paper and there has obviously been a stream of revelations since then."

Ms Brooks is still expected to appear alongside Rupert and James Murdoch at Tuesday's sitting of Mr Whittingdale's committee.

Mark Lewis, the solicitor representing Millie Dowler's family, told the BBC: "She should have gone ages ago. It happened on her watch.

"The Dowler family shouldn't have had to wait for this moment. We can't gloat on this position but it's right, it's what should have happened."
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:21 am

Something tells me that prick is now getting pretty worried about the fall out from all this.

National adverts, letter to comercial partners.

Well, I hope they rip them up and tell him shove his fake apology where the sun don't shine. More false words to try and hide and show
himself in a good light. Just like giving the money from the sale of the last NOTW to charity. Bit like the Devil trying to tell you he's really a
good guy, just a bit misunderstood.

As for her? Another waste of human flesh for hanging on as long as she has. Sometimes you just need to accept that
there really is nothing you can do to recitify a situation and just go. By hanging on all she has done is add insult to injury.
Trying to save herself until she has realised that, for once, the repercussions are just too great to overlook.
All she did was show that she thought SHE was more important than those who have been the true victims in all this.

Come on FBI, find some proof that this jerk has done the same in the USA and then sit back, watch and laugh, as his empire crumbles.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Shocked Hacking 9/11 victims !!??? Shocked Shocked If true the man is dead in the water.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 2:01 am

Wonder if this scandal will bring down the government?
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 am

Why ?? Most of this happened while the Ãœberc**ts Blair and Brown were raping and pilaging the country.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:10 am

Roger. H wrote:
Why ?? Most of this happened while the Ãœberc**ts Blair and Brown were raping and pilaging the country.

Did they employ Andy Coulson? Do they have links to News Intl like Davey appears to have? I don't care either way. Was just wondering.

Oh and I assume you won't be seeing the movie 'The Iron Lady' as trailered yesterday?
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:17 am

Pete wrote:
Roger. H wrote:

Did they employ Andy Coulson? Do they have links to News Intl like Davey appears to have? I don't care either way. Was just wondering.

Oh and I assume you won't be seeing the movie 'The Iron Lady' as trailered yesterday?

Seen all the footage of them in a smooch fest with Rebekah Brooks ??

Thatcher killed this country, Blair just f***ed the corpse.

Last edited by Roger. H on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 am

Roger. H wrote:
Pete wrote:
Roger. H wrote:

Seen all the footage of them in a smooch fest with Rebecca Wade ??

Not really. This story bores me now to be honest. Just interesting seeing who's getting caught up in it. If as Adam alluded they (Notw) did try and hack 9/11 families then that will be interesting!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 am

Like I said, if that's true the Americans will tear him apart. Here's hoping.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:44 am

Pete wrote:
Roger. H wrote:
Pete wrote:
Roger. H wrote:

Seen all the footage of them in a smooch fest with Rebekah Brooks ??

Not really. This story bores me now to be honest. Just interesting seeing who's getting caught up in it. If as Adam alluded they (Notw) did try and hack 9/11 families then that will be interesting!

Now Sean Hoare, the first journalist to expose this, found dead. This is shaping up to be a classic Who Dunnit ?? movie
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Roger. H wrote:

Now Sean Hoare, the first journalist to expose this, found dead. This is shaping up to be a classic Who Dunnit ?? movie
Is there no end to the revelations, mystery and intrigue?

You just know this has the makings a movie...

Have to say I am still loving watching his fall from grace.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 am

Wonder what'll happen at the House of Commons today?
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:22 am

Pete wrote:
Wonder what'll happen at the House of Commons today?
Unfortunately, I suspect, very little. Seeing as that Rebecca bint wasn't even accused of anything looks like this is going to be an 'investigation' for investigations sake. All for show.

Personnally I believe all at the top are reponsible, regardless if they knew or not. Simply they should know what is going on within their company and if they didn't then that is almost as bad.

As for that Rebecca bint, as she was editor at the time, if she didn't ask where the information came from then she is responcible for deriliction of duty as she should know and should have asked.

Either way, they are all responcible to a degree, and they all should be held accountable for allowing this practice to go on.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 am

Well...like the majority of their 'news' it appears they lied about the knowledge of hacking too..

Liar, Liar, your ass is on fire
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 am

Pete wrote:
Well...like the majority of their 'news' it appears they lied about the knowledge of hacking too..

Liar, Liar, your ass is on fire
Only to be expected...

They couldn't exactly turn round and go "yeah, we knew all about that and we authorised the payments too!", could they!?

I don't think we've heard the end of this story yet.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 6:33 am

happy boy happy boy happy boy happy boy

Vengeance is a dish best served just out of the freezer!

Phone Hacking: Lawyers To Launch US

Lawyers acting for phone-hacking victims are planning to launch legal action in the US against directors of the News Of The World's (NOTW) parent company News Corp, Sky Sources have said.
It is another significant escalation in the phone-hacking saga and could threaten the position of News Corp's founder Rupert Murdoch.

The Court proceedings will be lodged in New York.

They will claim that some of the allegations about what went on at the now defunct paper broke not only UK law, but potentially American law too.

As a US-based organisation, News Corp and its directors could be held responsible.

More to follow ...

Please let this be the beginning of the end for this evil corrupt empire!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 7:10 am

I know gloating is really crass...

BUT I DON'T CARE!!!

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT!!!!

Bring this prick down and his media empire with it!... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance   Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bye bye NOTW...& good riddance
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2