Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Space shuttle disaster

Go down 
+3
Roger. H
Pete
Chrissy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Space shuttle disaster Empty
PostSubject: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 am

It was today 1986 that the United States lost its space shuttle Challenger 25 years ago!!!
I can still remember that day. I was riding in the car with my mom and we were listening to it on the radio..I can still recall the shock and confusion as everyone was trying to figure out what had just happened...

The news converage was amazing as the beautiful pictures of a textbook liftout changed to horror..

President Reagan was set to deliver his state of the union address and instead it was changed into a attempt to try to confort a greiving nation.

So 25 years ago where were you? Do you remember this? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Chrissy on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:01 am

Chrissy wrote:
It was today 1986 that the United States lost its space shuttle [email=Challenger...@5]Challenger...25[/email] years ago!!!
I can still remember that day. I was riding in the car with my mom and we were listening to it on the radio..I can still recall the shock and confusion as everyone was trying to figure out what had just happened...

The news converage was amazing as the beautiful pictures of a textbook liftout changed to horror..

President Reagan was set to deliver his state of the union address and instead it was changed into a attempt to try to confort a greiving nation.

So 25 years ago where were you? Do you remember this? Any thoughts?

Is it really 25 years ago? way to make me fee old.
Where was I? At home having been to school I guess. I remember watching it on John Craven's Newsround (remember that Roger/Adam?). I also remember all the rather tasteless jokes that followed.

I've seen the rememberance monument at Arlington Cemetery too. Very moving.
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 am

I remember it very well, 25 years !! Shocked Shocked There was a daily newspaper that had just came out called TODAY, that was the first daily to use colour pictures, seeing their front page picture in full colour of the disaster made it seem even more horrific.
Back to top Go down
laxcdn

laxcdn

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 am

My friend and I were playing street hockey and came in to warm up and saw it on tv.
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

Number of posts : 3032
Job/hobbies : consumption
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:58 am

1986??? 25 years??? Everything was extraordinary back then! After surviving a life threatening head injury in July of '85, in time, I witnessed and/or experienced years' worth of strange, remarkable, other-worldly visions and "unexplained" things/ happenings. I was sixteen, and I had gone the distance with That Son of a Bitch. I very easily recall being absolutely unable to move or speak as I watched the video of the collosal aircraft breaking up over Texas like a little toy, and consciously worked very hard to resist the Devil removing life ( i.e, life energy, vital energy) out of me, or taking the glorious, unrivaled pleasure of living, feeling, and moving away from me.

. . . Whew! Sorry, I s'pose I might've asked who would like to take that ride before blasting off. Anyway, there was a teacher, elementary I'm pretty sure, from Florida on that mission. May god bless them, the Space Program, and may they rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:22 am

1986?

can't recall where I was but do remember watching the coverage on TV news. one of those moments that just make you stop in your tracks. Pretty shocking to see.

JC newsround, yep...certainly remember that
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 1:29 am

I was hostessing at my Day job. We had a tv right in the front bar area so I was able to watch the whole thing. It was a slow day at the restaurant so all the employee's gathered around as they replayed the accident that day. How awful it was seeing the families reactions. Sad
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:10 am

Not to forget the Columbia disaster on Feb 1st 2003
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 am

We obviously did. Well done Pete for pointing that out. Space travel is exciting and captures the imagination but sometimes comes with a price.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 am

Roger. H wrote:
We obviously did. Well done Pete for pointing that out. Space travel is exciting and captures the imagination but sometimes comes with a price.

I remember it as my best friend and his wife had come to visit his parents memorial at the Crem. We went out for a bit and then when we came home we found out the sad news...
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 5:26 am

I see Discovery is on her last mission. What now for the US Space program?
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 am

We have 2 more shuttles still till launch one last trip for the Endevor and one last trip for Atlantis......
Then no more shuttle program Sad

I am really hoping for bad weather on any of the landing days as it will force them to land here in California in the mohave desert which is just a little over an hour from here...I would love to take the boys to see one land!!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:26 am

Chrissy wrote:
We have 2 more shuttles still till launch one last trip for the Endevor and one last trip for Atlantis......
Then no more shuttle program Sad

I am really hoping for bad weather on any of the landing days as it will force them to land here in California in the mohave desert which is just a little over an hour from here...I would love to take the boys to see one land!!!!

I didn't realise there where two more. You hardly hear about them being launched anymore...To see one land would be very cool though.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:49 am

I noticed that Endeavour landed for the final time & the Space Shuttle program as is, has now ended.

As such R.I.P to those involved in both disasters..here's to the next step in reaching 'The Final Frontier'...
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 3:40 am

I wonder why we are not exploring the depths of the Oceans ? I'm sure there's lots to discover down there in The Abyss.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 4:37 am

Roger. H wrote:
I wonder why we are not exploring the depths of the Oceans ? I'm sure there's lots to discover down there in The Abyss.

Don't want to disturb the Megalodons! That's why. affraid scared1
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:23 am

why do you think they are not exploring it? They are just not telling anyone...
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:31 am

Chrissy wrote:
why do you think they are not exploring it? They are just not telling anyone...

Oh no!!! They're going to release the Megalodons!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space shuttle disaster   Space shuttle disaster I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Space shuttle disaster
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Full Metal Forum :: The Topics :: Anything Goes / Whats On Your Mind-
Jump to: