Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......

Go down 
+4
Frethead
Marty
laxcdn
Chrissy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677
Registration date : 2009-01-14

They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... Empty
PostSubject: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:46 pm

So many talented people have left us too soon or before their time...How many of you had a favorite that passed on...Maybe they did make it big or maybe they didn't...i would love to know who yours is and what made them so good and missed...Who did they play with.....

Who is mine you ask....Ray Gillen....What a voice.....He left this world in 1993 after loosing a battle with Aids.....

In 1986 he had his big break and replaced the immortal Glenn Hughes in Black Sabbath....After a number of band member departures he left the band soon into 1987...He then went on to joining bassist Tony Franklin of The Firm and legendary drummer, the late Cozy Powell in the initial incarnation of ex Thin Lizzy/Whitesnake guitarist John Sykes' band, Blue Murder.....I loved Blue Murder...Again this was short lived and the band all went in different directions....

It was in the Winter of 1987 that Ray's vocals would make their vinyl debut, Ray having joined a cadre of all-star singers such as John Wetton (King Crimson/Asia), Glenn Hughes, and Max Bacon (Bronz/GTR) to work on the Phenomena II: Dream Runner record, the second project album from noted British producer, Tom Galley

1988 found Ray returning to America to begin the process of putting together a new band of his own. Ray was quick to contact former Rough Cutt/Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Jake E. Lee, and together, along with Ray's former Sabbath bandmate, drummer Eric Singer, they began auditioning a series of bass players before finally settling on ex Steeler bassist, Greg Chaisson. With the line-up complete, and a deal in hand from Atlantic Records subsidiary, Titanium Records, the band, Badlands, went into the studio to record their self-titled debut, which was released to rave reviews in early 1989.

For me this was such a great band...I can still remember hearing Dreams in the dark for the first time....I thought it was so good!!!
But they didn't last too long and the band fell apart and moved on...Of course as you know where Eric Singer went.....

Ray would appear as a guest performer on a couple of albums from other artists (Atsushi Yokezeki- Raid/George Lynch- Sacred Groove) before forming his next band, Tariff, with guitarist Joe Holmes. The L.A.-based band were quick to break up, however, and upon his return to New York in 1993, Ray promptly teamed up with former Alice In Chain bassist, Mike Starr, guitarist Al Romano, and former Rondinelli bandmate, drummer Bobby Rondinelli, to form the band Sun Red Sun. In an ironic twist of fate, however, only a handful of numbers were recorded with producer Leif Mases, before Rondinelli left to join... Black Sabbath..Life is strange isn't it......

I always thought he had such a great stage prescence and a wonderful voice.....So he is my choice of i wonder what would have.......

here are two of my fav songs by him......
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:51 pm

and with Black Sabbath......
Back to top Go down
laxcdn

laxcdn

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:28 am

I love this song.

What a co-inky-dink, just as I was posting this Badlands - Soul Stealer came on my Winamp random.
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 am

Nice Post Chrissy. A nice tribute to honor those gone too soon. Ray left behind some great music and videos. Badlands were a cool band for sure.

Mine would be Robbin Crosby of course. He had so much more to offer us. He had great idea's, I could have seen him doing movies what a handsome man and just so talented. Most of all I loved his appreciation of his fans. He was a genuine type of person. Drugs suck!!!!!!!!!

Dimebag was also my favorite..... He was taken on stage WTF!!! I can't even think about it.

Probably the hardest for me was John Bonham. I got up at 5am to get my newspaper to get the Led Zeppelin ticket to send in or whatever. I was really pumped!!! I was finally getting to see my favorite all time band. And Then John died. Sad

This list could go on and on. R.I.P. to all our hero's gone to soon.

Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

Number of posts : 3032
Job/hobbies : consumption
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 am

Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:51 am

Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Great thread Chrissy,

Here's my vote, my first rock band with my first idol, no not Angus but Bon rock on

Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 am

So this is the R.I.P thread.....................O.K........................Alex Harvey ( Genius)

Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 am

Eric Carr..................The best KISS drummer.

Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 am

Roger H wrote:
So this is the R.I.P thread.....................O.K........................Alex Harvey ( Genius)

Roger what are you growing on that hill?
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 am

Roger H wrote:
Eric Carr..................The best KISS drummer.

That was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a loss.......Talented and sexy as hell!!!
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 am

Chrissy wrote:
Roger H wrote:

Can you send me some? Enclosed is my P.O. Box Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

Marty forward it to me...I'll bake it into cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 11:25 am

Chrissy wrote:
Roger H wrote:

Organic Delilahs................................ confused 1

Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Rev

Rev

Number of posts : 1621
Job/hobbies : Maker of Metal

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Wow Fret...that's one of my all time fav devo tunes. I always was dissapointed that it was in the movie "Heavy Metal" but not on the soundtrack. No
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Devo was so much fun!!!!!...Great one Fret!
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Frethead wrote:

OMG I haven't heard that in forever. cheers
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Rev wrote:
Wow Fret...that's one of my all time fav devo tunes. I always was dissapointed that it was in the movie "Heavy Metal" but not on the soundtrack. No

Right on, Rev! It made a big difference in the movie, I think, and I was also disappointed that it wasn't released with the movie score!
Back to top Go down
Roger. H

Roger. H

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 2:28 am

Can't argee with that one, I never did like Devo. No

Here's another " Gone but not forgotten " from me......................................

IAN DRURY AND THE BLOCKHEADS................What a Waste.

Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:37 am

Well as far as I'm aware.

Eric Carr, Phil Lynott, Bon Scott, Steve Clarke, Jimi Hendrix, Mark St. John and Freddie Mercury are upstairs having one hell of a Jam session.

There's several others up there trying to get in on the act but this lot are hogging the stage at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Frethead

Frethead

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

Pete wrote:
Well as far as I'm aware.

Eric Carr, Phil Lynott, Bon Scott, Steve Clarke, Jimi Hendrix, Mark St. John and Freddie Mercury are upstairs having one hell of a Jam session.

There's several others up there trying to get in on the act but this lot are hogging the stage at the moment.
\\

Bastards!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......   They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if....... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

They are gone...but I wonder what would have happened if.......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Full Metal Forum :: The Topics :: Anything Goes / Whats On Your Mind-
Jump to: