Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The big four!

Go down 
+5
Rev
RFFB
'Scope
Pete
Matty35
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:05 am

I know we have some "Drop tune" Wink fans here, so which of the "big four"..Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, & Megadeth, would you say is your favourite & why?

cheers

Matty.. peace
Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:25 am

Good question Matty!!

Hmmm...

Metallica for the first 4 albums.
Anthrax for getting my interest in the heavier side of metal
Megadeth for Dave's snarl and anger (much needed when I was a teen)
Slayer for being brutal!

Can't really choose one though!
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-01-14

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:42 am

Upscope chooses Ratt!!

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 am

'Scope wrote:
Upscope chooses Ratt!!

'Scope

lol! lol! lol! lol! bottom's up
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 6:04 am

'Scope wrote:
Upscope chooses Ratt!!

'Scope

& Frankie is the thread jacker!!! Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

I forgot to add Rush in that list!! lol!
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

Number of posts : 6436
Registration date : 2009-01-24

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Matty35 wrote:
'Scope wrote:
Upscope chooses Ratt!!

'Scope

Then I choose Rush!!!

Metallica for me. Didn't get it when they first came out to be honest. My best mate was WELL into all the thrash...just sent me running for my Angel albums!!... Laughing

But after RTL I came to like it more...so when my mate played me the other bands mentioned I didn't just switch off, but they didn't grab me like Metallica. I simply like their songs more than the bands listed, just think there's more to them. But St Anger was pants!!! And Lars is as big a prat as a certain Mr Gene Simmons (copyright Pete). So far up his own arse he can probably see what had for dinner come down his own gut.

I do like various songs by the other bands but never fully embraced them. But in truth give me Ministry over any of them!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rev

Rev

Number of posts : 1621
Job/hobbies : Maker of Metal
Registration date : 2009-01-16

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Metallica for me...they just had that hook back when Ride the Lightning came out...and I still get chills when I hear Fade to Black and Creeping Death. drummer
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:20 am

Matty35 wrote:
'Scope wrote:
Upscope chooses Ratt!!

'Scope

Hey, all Upscope can say is.......he learned from the best!!

'Scope
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:13 am

Rev wrote:
Metallica for me...they just had that hook back when Ride the Lightning came out...and I still get chills when I hear Fade to Black and Creeping Death. drummer
Ain't that the truth!!!... Very Happy

'Escape' just makes me wanna ROCK OUT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
kokeakola

kokeakola

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-01-18

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Metallica gets my vote!
Back to top Go down
RAZOR777

RAZOR777

Number of posts : 90

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Ooh, tough one!

My first introduction into metal was Metallica, and it was much later that I got into Megadeth.

I'll hedge this one!

My reason for liking Metallica would be their early influence on me, the awesome riffs and songs, and Hetfield being pretty much completely awesome.

My vote for Megadeth would be the superior musicianship (especially when Marty was in the band!), and they always seemed a little more dangerous to me.

So, I like them both for different reasons!
Back to top Go down
Shelby

Shelby

Number of posts : 52

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 pm

I gotta go with Metallica because they're SF Bay Area royalty, and I'm from the Bay Area. Used to run into these guys occasionally at The Stone which is one of the clubs they used to headline.

But I do love my Megadeth and Anthrax!
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 1:53 am

Shelby wrote:
I gotta go with Metallica because they're SF Bay Area royalty, and I'm from the Bay Area. Used to run into these guys occasionally at The Stone which is one of the clubs they used to headline.

That's cool. Cool

This was before Lars head got stuck up his A$$ then.
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:23 am

Razzor777 wrote-

"My vote for Megadeth would be the superior musicianship (especially when Marty was in the band!), and they always seemed a little more dangerous to me."

Im with that!, Dave's rhythm work is excellent & Marty Friedman is top draw. Marty was Deth's best ever lead player for sure!
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 7:53 am

Pete wrote:
Shelby wrote:

That's cool. Cool

The big four! Head_butt <--------Lars just before a show...

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shelby

Shelby

Number of posts : 52

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 pm

'Scope wrote:
Pete wrote:
Shelby wrote:

That's cool. Cool

The big four! Head_butt <--------Lars just before a show...

'Scope

ROFLMAO!

Pete, unfortunately no. By the time I started hitting the clubs, Metallica was well-established in the metal world. If/when they were between recording, they would randomly turn up at shows. Kirk & Jason were always gracious, but Lars & James were complete assholes.

One night when I was there with my friends, myself and one of my girlfriends, who was not much of a fan, were trying to make our way to the bar. The Metallica guys were there too... it was about a year before the Black album was released. It was a packed house and James was in our way. My friend politely said "excuse me" several times and he totally ignored her. Finally she yells "Get the f*** out of my way now!" JH looked at her and said the world famous "Do you know who I am??" to which my friend replied "Yes I do, and your band sucks too! Now move it!" I was totally mortified!!

He stepped aside.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:40 am

Shelby wrote:

Pete, unfortunately no. By the time I started hitting the clubs, Metallica was well-established in the metal world. If/when they were between recording, they would randomly turn up at shows. Kirk & Jason were always gracious, but Lars & James were complete assholes.

One night when I was there with my friends, myself and one of my girlfriends, who was not much of a fan, were trying to make our way to the bar. The Metallica guys were there too... it was about a year before the Black album was released. It was a packed house and James was in our way. My friend politely said "excuse me" several times and he totally ignored her. Finally she yells "Get the f*** out of my way now!" JH looked at her and said the world famous "Do you know who I am??" to which my friend replied "Yes I do, and your band sucks too! Now move it!" I was totally mortified!!

He stepped aside.

That's funny.

I lost all respect for Larz & Jaymz when they started going after their OWN fans. Great live band with a some cracking tunes but as people Larz & Jaymz come across as complete a$$holes.
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Pete wrote:
Shelby wrote:

He stepped aside.

That's funny.

I lost all respect for Larz & Jaymz when they started going after their OWN fans. Great live band with a some cracking tunes but as people Larz & Jaymz come across as complete a$$holes.
What's this reference too? Napster and the fans who downloaded their music? Or something else?

That Napster stuff was a disgrace. Like Lars never taped an album in his time? Calling their own fans for downloading music. Total ass wipe. That bit in 'Some Kind Of Monster' when Lars sells his paintings? For millions. And he begrudges some fans for downloading some music. Like he needs any more money.
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Upscope's just glad he never became a fan of Metallica like just about everybody else did. Everyday it's something new that you hear about them being jerks.

Hilarious story Shelby. 'Yes I do & your band SUCKS too!! Now move it!' happy boy

'Scope
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:38 am

RFFB wrote:
Pete wrote:
Shelby wrote:

He stepped aside.

That's funny.

What's this reference too? Napster and the fans who downloaded their music? Or something else?

That Napster stuff was a disgrace. Like Lars never taped an album in his time? Calling their own fans for downloading music. Total ass wipe. That bit in 'Some Kind Of Monster' when Lars sells his paintings? For millions. And he begrudges some fans for downloading some music. Like he needs any more money.

Yeah. I was refrring to the Napster incident. Made them look like fools.
Back to top Go down
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:53 am

It took me years to listen to the "Black" album in my own time...It seemed like every club & pub played that album. "Sandman" & "Sad but true" were played to death! Evil or Very Mad ..I couldn't stomach the songs or the band any longer!! No

Now the "craze" is over the Cd sits better with me now..

cheers

Matty.. rock on
Back to top Go down
Chrissy

Chrissy

Number of posts : 9677

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 7:23 am

Matty35 wrote:
It took me years to listen to the "Black" album in my own time...It seemed like every club & pub played that album. "Sandman" & "Sad but true" were played to death! Evil or Very Mad ..I couldn't stomach the songs or the band any longer!! No

Now the "craze" is over the Cd sits better with me now..

cheers

Matty.. rock on
Quote :

Perfectly said!!
Back to top Go down
'Scope

'Scope

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 am

O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D

'Scope
Back to top Go down
RFFB

RFFB

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:01 pm

'Scope wrote:
O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D

'Scope
No way!!!

Matty is right when he says it was overplayed to death, but over-rated? Gotta say, no. It is chocka full of classic tunes. There's no doubt it's a bit more 'polished' than previous albums but deserves its place as one of the top selling rock albums.

Last edited by RFFB on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The big four! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big four!   The big four! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The big four!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Full Metal Forum :: The Topics :: Drop Tune-
Jump to: