Full Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated To The Sound That Makes You Bang Your Head!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band'

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Matty35
Admin
Matty35

Number of posts : 1996
Job/hobbies : Chuggin On The Low E
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band' Empty
PostSubject: Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band'   Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band' I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:08 am

Billy Sloan of the California Chronicle spoke with guitarist Angus Young of legendary Anglo-Australian hard rockers AC/DC on June 20th, one day after the band's performance in Copenhagen, Denmark in front of 60,000 people at Parken. Here is what he had to say:

"This is our biggest tour yet. The longer you go, the more people want to see you," Angus, 53, said. "It's been a long time since we've played live. But it's like swimming... once you're in the water, it comes right back to you. The fans have probably forgotten what AC/DC have been about so they're thinking, 'We better go see them quick'."

On AC/DC's origins:

"The name of the group and the school suit is down to my sister Margaret. We were playing in a Sydney nightclub and needed to call ourselves something quick. When I spotted the letters 'AC/DC' on the back of her sewing machine, it sounded best. My older brother George, who was a member of The Easybeats, said, 'You need something people will remember you by.' I tried different costumes including a Superman suit, a Zorro outfit and once even dressed up as a gorilla. It was Margaret who came upwith the school uniform. The hard part was to convince me."

"I still love putting the shorts, cap and school tie on before a show — it gives you that energy. I become not me but the guy in the school suit. That's better in a way because I'd be standing up there feeling really shy otherwise."

"Malcolm [Young, guitar] was 20 and I was 18 when we formed AC/DC — we just wanted to be in a good rock band. The music scene in Australia in 1973 was very middle of the road — on the radio, you didn't hear anybody like us.

"In Sydney, we built up a following — by word of mouth — so it was a real grass roots momentum. The Easybeats became a big band when they had a hit with 'Friday On My Mind.' George would tell us to get our guitars and come into the studio for a jam with them to gain experience."

Discussing AC/DC's phenomenal success:

"I've never thought of AC/DC as being a No. 1 band. We're not anything special — we were just a good group who could go anywhere in the world and people seemed to like what we did. Malcolm always used to say: 'Once you get to No. 1, there's only one place left to go... and that's down. So it's always better to be striving for more every time to move AC/DC up and really earn our success. Our Scottish background gave us a good grounding. We had a kind of doggedness and determination."

"So the best thing about success is I get to be creative. I feel that every time we write songs or go into the studio to make another record. I get a real kick out of that. The biggest buzz is taking songs we've created and see them come alive on stage."

"I walk on stage and crawl off. It's very physically demanding. But at 53, that's what keeps me fit. That drive keeps me going."

"In the minutes before a show, I still get nervous. When I'm standing behind the stage and the intro tape is playing, I've got to focus my mind and try to find that little schoolboy devil and get into the mindset of the character. When we come off tour, I usually crawl off and hide under a rock somewhere. I don't want to live in that school suit persona all the time."
Back to top Go down
https://fullmetalforum.forumotion.com
Roger. H

Roger. H

Number of posts : 15230
Job/hobbies : Striving for the goal.
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band'   Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:37 am

" The fans have probably forgotten what AC/DC have been about so they're thinking, 'We better go see them quick "

He's right ! I've got to admit I wasn't going to bother until a friend of mine came up with a spare ticket. Now I'm glad I went. But it's a shame that you can only get to see them in Stadium gigs or Festivals now, both of which I'm not a fan of.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

Number of posts : 19317
Job/hobbies : Sometimes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band'   Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Roger H wrote:
" The fans have probably forgotten what AC/DC have been about so they're thinking, 'We better go see them quick "

He's right ! I've got to admit I wasn't going to bother until a friend of mine came up with a spare ticket. Now I'm glad I went. But it's a shame that you can only get to see them in Stadium gigs or Festivals now, both of which I'm not a fan of.

Aye, best' DC gig I've seen was at the Hammersmith Odeon in 2003. Tickets were only a tenner too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band'   Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angus Young Said That He "Never Thought Of AC/DC As Being A No. 1 Band'
Page 1 of 1